WEP VS WPA

Anthony A

Last week I changed the encryption on the wireless network to WPA from WEP. I did this after reading how much more secure WPA is. Never had a security problem with WEP but figured what could it hurt. Since doing that there has been a noticeable slowdown in the speed of browsing. Pages load slower and just feels sluggish. When coming out of standby it takes a few seconds to connect to the network. The little arrow on the wireless icon in the system tray starts moving side to side indicting it is looking for a signal to connect to. It always connects but it takes longer than it did on WEP. That little arrow never appeared when using WEP. The connection was almost instant. I switched back to WEP and things are back to normal for me. Anybody notice a performance difference between WEP and WPA?

I dont even bother with either of them as i have set up the router to only allow computers that I tell it to using the Wireless Station Access List. All you have to do is input the MAC address and your away.

Okay what is the likely hood of someone coming to my village just to capture and read my packets or someone who lives around me doing that. I know for a fact that the people who live around me don't know enough about computers to do that and therefore I am not worried in the slightest. Actually now that I think about it I do still have WEP enabled but WEP is supposed to be easily cracked or whatever but like I said I do not see that happening to me.

im just speaking in general.

talldog, i'm pretty sure that can always happen.. no matter what security you have

unless you're running IPTables or something

But with encryption, if they tried to view the packets they would be looking at randomness.

Okay what is the likely hood of someone coming to my village just to capture and read my packets or someone who lives around me doing that. I know for a fact that the people who live around me don't know enough about computers to do that and therefore I am not worried in the slightest. Actually now that I think about it I do still have WEP enabled but WEP is supposed to be easily cracked or whatever but like I said I do not see that happening to me.

That is basically the same thing as security by obscurity.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

im just speaking in general.

Yeah I know you were just speaking in general Talldog9

That is basically the same thing as security by obscurity.

lol I wouldn't say that i was using secrecy to provide security and I do know that there maybe flaws in my approach but I just don't think that i am likely to be hacked especially if you don't broadcast your SSID. Don't get me wrong i know that i could be but i just don't see anyone in my village doing that or someone coming into the village to do that and I would use a better security system if it was in a business environment but since I am not I will stick to how I have set things up