IE7 not deleting temp files on exit

Anthony A

On one of my machines I have noticed IE7 not deleting temp files on exit even though I have it set to do so. I can delete them manually in the Internet options and of course using CCleaner but they should be emptying on closing IE7. It works as it should on my other machines. Any suggestions on what could cause this?

All the problems IE7 is giving you with bloated updates and now this I'm surprised you haven't pulled out the virtual shotgun and splattered it by now.

BTW, I have no idea how to fix it.

I get bored and start fiddling around. I have taken Firefox, Maxthon 1 and 2, and Opera as far as I can go with them so I start messing around with IE7.

By the way after doing some asking around on some forums I have found out that those bloated updates in the IE7 update folder can be safely deleted. For some reason IE7 backs up the whole installation of IE7 after those updates and that's whats in the update folder. Open an update and look at it. Open the IE7 folder and look at the contents and compare it to one of the updates. I have deleted the contents of the update folder and IE7 works fine on all my machines. This temp folder problem I'm having is only on one machine and was happening long before I dumped the IE7 Update folder so it's not that. ;)

Opera does a similar thing with updates. After each Opera update it backs up your current Opera in C:\Program Files\Opera9\uninst\backups.

The back ups can be safely deleted which I did.

I had the same problem.

Reset Internet Explorer Settings is the first thing you should do but if the problem persists, use Manage Add-ons to disable all add-ons and then add them back one at a time, testing as you go.

I found that one of my add-ons was running a process that locked some files in the Temporary Internet Files folder. I suspect the IE7 shutdown sequence wasn't shutting down the add-on before trying to empty the temporary files.

Sorry I can't remember which add-on it was but I do know that it wasn't something I miss.

I use Doug Knox's Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

If you go to his HOME page you will see lots of handy utilities and tips for the operating system.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I use Doug Knox's Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

CCleaner already does that (Cleaner>Advanced>Hotfix uninstallers). That Doug Knox fix, nor CCleaner, does not remove the updates Anthony is referring to:

This utility does NOT remove application specific hotfix backups (Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Media player and etc). It will only remove hotfix backups that are specific to the Windows XP operating system.

CCleaner already does that (Cleaner>Advanced>Hotfix uninstallers). That Doug Knox fix, nor CCleaner, does not remove the updates Anthony is referring to:

Maybe it should be added to CCleaner or in winapp2.ini. I am adding it in the custom folder section for now. The IE7 Update folder was 80+ MB and climbing.