Has anyone done this?

xbrianx

Not sure about those reg hacks. As for the 'tweaks' they do with the Cablenut program, I would suggest using TCP Optimiser (Link) which automatically changes those settings to the best for your system, and importantly creates a backup of your current settings so you can easily revert back if there's a problem.

I doubt you will notice much improvement with any of them though. I found I got an increased upload and download speeds on speed test sites after using TCP Optimiser but the difference wasn't really noticeable in regular use (though it did seem to improve my connection quality for the little bit of online gaming I do)

Thanks JD. I'll give the TCP program a go soon. I was hoping to speed up my connection for a better ping in Halo, and I've noticed my downloads rarely go above 90kb/s. When I'm not loading any site, my connection is 54MBps, but when I downloaded a 219MB .rar file it dropped down to 36MBps, and downloaded at about 87kb/s. I wanted to see if I could change that. :blink:

On Speedtest.net, I got 740kb/s download and 130kb/s upload in Washington, DC, which is less than 100miles away.

Playing with settings is not going to change much in normal circumstances(from what I've seen by trying it)

The only way to get faster downloads is to pay for better bandwidth.

i agree with rridgely.

i've tweaked my PC, changed MTU and RRWIN settings, ect... it doesn't really make any noticable difference

• Moderators
Playing with settings is not going to change much in normal circumstances(from what I've seen by trying it)

The only way to get faster downloads is to pay for better bandwidth.

I agree with that for Cable and DSL. I just tried TCP Optimizer yesterday and all it did was allow me to download a large test file (iTunes from Filehippo.com) a smidgen faster a whole whopping 2 kbps faster.

Now on dial-up when I used to use AOL like eight or so years ago I did notice a significant difference with some MTU changing program back then. I remember my file downloads went from a maximum of 2.5-3.0 kbps, to around 5.0-5.5 kbps which is a vastly huge difference on slow dial-up connections.