neighboor's wireless

• Moderators

Its usually nice to ask. :)

I have heard strange stories about people getting in trouble but as long as they leave it open I dont think there is anything they can do.

Chances are they wont even know your connected but if they know anything about networking(which they probably dont since they left it open..) they will be able to tell your connected.

Also since your using their connection if you start downloading stuff while on it, it will slow down their internet. Thats why its better to ask.

Another thing to keep in mind is some ISP have down load limits. If you exceed it they charge you a fee. My aunt set up a wireless router and did not secure it. She received a huge bill form the ISP because the download limits were reached and exceeded big time. Some body had been on here signal downloading things and she ended up paying for it.

Chances are they will say "no'. Worst part is I have no idea which house :lol:

Another ting to keep in mind is some ISP have down load limits. If you exceed it they charge you a fee. My aunt set up a wireless router and did not secure it. She received a huge bill form the ISP because the download limits were reached and exceeded big time. Some body had been on here signal downloading things and she ended up paying for it.

Nah, company such as bellsouth,comcast, verizon, ect...won't do that.

Honestly,I don't think I will use it though, Hopefully.

In most jurisdictions, using someone's internet connection without authorization is theft of services.

Also, your neighbour may not legally be able to authorize you to use their connection. Most ISP's have terms and conditions that prohibit sharing or providing access outside the customer's household.

To the original poster: I don't know where you live, but in the UK it would be classed as theft as well as possibly an offence under other statutes.

The rule of thumb is - if you have to ask if it's illegal, it probably is!

i'm always on other peoples networks B)

oh, and some places have free wireless internet access you can use. like where i live, some coffee shops have them. everyone always chills there with their laptops :)

sometimes libraries have them too

atleast where i live, anyway