This forum does strange things to browsers

Anthony A

I have posted this before and it's still a problem. There is something about these forums that messes with all my browsers on all my machines. If I start a thread, reply to a thread, quote in a thread, the browsers do not work right. If I use "fast reply" they work fine. Here is what happens by browser,

Opera: Spell check is grayed out in right click context menu.

Line breaks get messed up. Sometimes a line I'm typing just keeps going and does not go to the next line. Than when I post it's a mess.

Right click context menus are inconsistent. Cut, copy and paste get messed up.

Everything works as it should when using "fast reply" option.

Fireofx: In line spell check does not work. Only works in "fast reply" option.

IE7 with IE7 Pro. In line spell check does not work. Same as in Firefox. Works in "fast reply" though. IE Spell does not work via right click context menu. Again works in "fast reply" though.

Maxthon 1 and 2: IE Spell does not work via right click context menu. Works in "fast reply" though.

This is happening on four machines and it does not happen on any other site I go to. All the browsers mess up and only on this site and only when I reply using anything but "fast reply".

The fact that it's on all my machines and all my browsers and only on this forum makes it clear to me it's a forum issue not my machines.

The fact that it's on all my machines and all my browsers and only on this forum makes it clear to me it's a forum issue not my machines.

It must be frustrating I'm sure. The only problem with your theory that it must be a "forum issue" is that I've never had any of those issues. All works fine.

I'm using IE-7. The Regular IE-7 not pro.

It must be frustrating I'm sure. The only problem with your theory that it must be a "forum issue" is that I've never had any of those issues. All works fine.

I'm using IE-7. The Regular IE-7 not pro.

Well if you are using IE7 without IE7 Pro you won't see an issue. If you had IE7 Pro you would be able to see the in line spell check not working properly. Do you use Opera,?Maxthon,?Firefox at all?

Do you use IE Spell with IE7? If so try spell checking with the right click context menu. It's not there in the options.?You?have?to?use?the?tool?bar?button.

Also I specifically mentioned "fast reply". There are several ways to respond on this forum. "Fast reply" is one of them. Everything works well in that option. I think most people use that option and may not notice the problem.

Well if you are using IE7 without IE7 Pro you won't see an issue. If you had IE7 Pro you would be able to see the in line spell check not working properly. Do you use Opera,?Maxthon,?Firefox at all?

Do you use IE Spell with IE7? If so try spell checking with the right click context menu. It's not there in the options.?You?have?to?use?the?tool?bar?button.

Also I specifically mentioned "fast reply". There are several ways to respond on this forum. "Fast reply" is one of them. Everything works well in that option. I think most people use that option and may not notice the problem.

Yes I use an IE right click spell-check and it's working fine. Everything is. I've used both ways to respond and both are fine.

Edit:

No, I don't use any other browsers other than IE7. I only have IE7 on my machine. I wonder if having two browsers on your machine would cause the problem.

Yes I use an IE right click spell-check and it's working fine. Everything is. I've used both ways to respond and both are fine.

You use IE Spell and the "check spelling" option works in right click context menu? This works for you no matter how you reply to a thread?

Edit:

No, I don't use any other browsers other than IE7. I only have IE7 on my machine. I wonder if having two browsers on your machine would cause the problem.

I have 6 browsers and they co exist perfectly. Only problem is this forum and than only if I use any other option other than "fast reply".

You use IE Spell and the "check spelling" option works in right click context menu? This works for you no matter how you reply to a thread?

Yes, that's right. It works anywhere in any text box, online of course. I just right click and have several options, I can either spell-check one word or the entire document, or Even look up a word on Webster dictionary, all with a right click :)

Edit:

I don't usually use the fast reply option, but I have before.

Here's the IE spell-checker add-on I use.

IE Spell-Checker

• Moderators

Yep, Anthony's right as far as Firefox goes. Spellcheck only works if I right click "spell check this field" for every post.

Even when I simply preview post, when I move back to the text window, spellcheck is inactive again.

And this is the only place where this happens.

It's good to see it's not just me. Hopefully we can figure this out. I'm to the point I won't use Opera here. I will be creating a reply and the line breaks go bananas and I have to start over again. Doesn't happen all the time.

Just so you know and there is no misunderstanding, I am using the spell-checker now, here today and it's fine. It's always been fine.

I am posting this with IE7 and IE7 Pro and IE Spell is also installed. I am obviously quoting your post. In line spell check for IE7 Pro is not high lighting misspelled words. When I check spelling via right click context menu there is no "check spelling" option for IE Spell. The other options for IE Spell are present though. The tool bar button for IE Spell works.

I am posting this with IE7 and IE7 Pro and IE Spell is also installed. I am obviously quoting your post. In line spell check for IE7 Pro is not high lighting misspelled words. When I check spelling via right click context menu there is no "check spelling" option for IE Spell. The other options for IE Spell are present though. The tool bar button for IE Spell works.

You have to be in a 'writing text box' in order for the 'check spelling' option to be present. If you're just reading a post the only options are as follows:

-----

ieSpell Options

Lookup on Merriam Webster

Lookup on Wikipeda

-----

When you're are about to write a message the 'check spelling' option will appear.

Edit:

I don't have IE Pro, I just have the regular IE7. I have no other browsers.

You have to be in a 'writing text box' in order for the 'check spelling' option to be present. If you're just reading a post the only options are as follows:

-----

ieSpell Options

Lookup on Merriam Webster

Lookup on Wikipeda

-----

When you're are about to write a message the 'check spelling' option will appear.

Yes I know this. "Check spelling" doesn't appear when it should. Thats the problem.

I have been using IE Spell for several years now. It only messes up on this forum. Same for the problems with the other browsers.

I thought there was a spell checker that came with the pro version of IE7.

I've had my spell-checker for about 4 months now I guess. It's been good so far. Maybe you need to uninstall it and install it again. Could be you lost some components of it along the way. Some cleaning programs can do that.

I thought there was a spell checker that came with the pro version of IE7.

I've had my spell-checker for about 4 months now I guess. It's been good so far. Maybe you need to uninstall it and install it again. Could be you lost some components of it along the way. Some cleaning programs can do that.

IE7 Pro comes with an in line spell checker. There is no "pro version" of IE7. IE7 Pro is an addon for IE7 that includes a in line spell checker as well as many other features .

http://www.ie7pro.com/

As far as IE Spell. No components are are lost/deleted/damaged. It works flawless every were else but here. This is on several computers. It's not just IE Spell either it's other browsers spell checkers as well the mess up here.

• Moderators
Yet mine does not and some others are having the issue as well. I would like to figure this out.

Well my current firefox install is pretty standard. I only have adblock plus installed and nothing else(and no settings changes), so my guess is you have some setting screwed up somewhere.

Well my current firefox install is pretty standard. I only have adblock plus installed and nothing else(and no settings changes), so my guess is you have some setting screwed up somewhere.

That would not explain Firefox working perfectly every where else and 6 browsers screwing up on this forum only and this behavior happening on 4 machines on this forum only.