Desktop Icon Problem

runawayhorses

Those icon text "boxes" are blue because you got blue desktop under wallpaper. You can change boxes to transparent by right clicking My computer, selecting Properties, then go to Advanced tab. Click "Settings" on Performance area and check "Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels". Hit OK and OK.

Those icon text "boxes" are blue because you got blue desktop under wallpaper. You can change boxes to transparent by right clicking My computer, selecting Properties, then go to Advanced tab. Click "Settings" on Performance area and check "Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels". Hit OK and OK.

Thank you very much, I tried what you said and it worked just fine. :) I don't know how it ever got changed before, but, transparent is what I wanted. Thanks again.

• Moderators

If your on an lcd monitor you can make it look even better by turning on clear type. Go to your desktop and right click>properties>appearance>effects>in the second drop down box choose clear type.

If your on an lcd monitor you can make it look even better by turning on clear type. Go to your desktop and right click>properties>appearance>effects>in the second drop down box choose clear type.

I don't like clear type, makes the text look slightly blurry to me.

Thanks rridgely, that worked nicely too. I think it gives it a cleaner look. I'm using the small icons as well, which take up less room.

• Moderators

This little trick does something else as well.

The only thing I prefer in IE7 over Firefox, is the quality of the font or text, whatever.

I've tried changing to different fonts, sizes, etc etc, to no avail.

Selecting clear type, as above, makes Firefox text display identical to IE7.

Magic.

Selecting clear type, as above, makes Firefox text display identical to IE7.

Thats because IE7 has Cleartype enabled by default (one of the first things I turned off), Firefox respects the system default font settings.

• Moderators
Thats because IE7 has Cleartype enabled by default (one of the first things I turned off), Firefox respects the system default font settings.

I wish I'd known about this months ago.

The appearance of all text, offline or on is vastly improved with Cleartype.

But of course, it's all subjective, and it works for me.

Well I'll be danged.

Was wondering why my print looked crappy in all my virtual machine XP installs compared to Vista and that was why.

Thanks rridgely! :)