Themes

User000

today i decided that i wanted to use royale noir again, so i went and downloaded it. Knowing the bug that it cant be selected by the drop down menu i went to click on it to activate it. This is what happens when i click on the file.

549t0xz.png

This also happens to ANY Theme file! Windows cant find what created it, but it can still use them in the drop down menu in properties. I really want to use royale noir! Themes like royale and defult ones work fine in the drop down menu, but not being able to select a theme manually has me concerned. I have search throughout kellys korner and have not found a reg file that has fixed this. Do any of you guys know where to find a solution to my problem? thanks a million.

Opening a theme file here in Vista uses

Windows Shell Common Dll

Have you been to the link below.

Might be a fix?

I tryed that one, nothing happened as this happens with any .msstyle i click on , not just the lunadefult one.

I will try it again for good measure. But i think the soultion does not lie with kellys korner, as i have tryed allthe registry fixes with ctrl f themes.

EDIT: !!! now im stuck in classic theme, i windows still cant open theme files and now i select royale or xp defult, i log off and log back on and it goes back to classic, now what do i do ??

Humpty, thanks for all of your help, unfortunitly none of your suggestions helped. I have figured out whats wrong, but i am not famliar with the termonology, perhaps you could assist? In this thread http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...174730&st=0 someone had a simular problem as me, and a suggestion on the second page of it said to open folder options > file types and find MSSTYLES and then edit how it gets opened and he posted what he used to open it. Which is C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\windows\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Appearance /Action:OpenMSTheme /file:"%1" The thread maker then used this in his msstyles file types dialogue, and it worked for him. It works for me as well. Unfortunitly my computer is plagued with the same problem except with .theme file types. Would pasting the same thing work for .theme files as well? Do you know what exactly to type in for the .theme dialogue? Thanks.

Sorry User000 can't answer that one. Out of ideas atm except maybe try sfc /scannow and I really don't know if it will help.

Place the xp cd in your cd/dvd drive

Go to start

run

type in sfc /scannow - note: space betwen sfc and /

More info on sfc /scannow

I allready did that last week, the problem isnt that im missing system critical files that can be copyed to windows, its that something (i dont know what) has deleted the action that that tells windows what to open .theme with. i need to remake this action, as the person in that thread did. I don't know if this is to much to ask humpty but could you please go to folder options > file types tab > then find THEME > click on it > click advanced. it should say open click on it and click edit on the side > could you then please copy and paste everything in the fields for THEME? Thanks! Heres a screenshot of what it is missing and what i need someone to give me so i can input it and re open my theme files. this is what i ddid for .msstyles and now i need someones for .theme. Thanks!

Heres a picture tut of what im asking for:

66lki8j.png

then

4yywjeq.png

THANKS to anyone who does this.

Here goes.

Application used to perform action:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:"%1"

DDE Message:

Nothing in this field

Application:

Shell32

DDE Application not running:

Also empty in this field

Topic:

System

Here goes.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:"%1"

DDE Message:

Nothing in this field

Application:

Shell32

DDE Application not running:

Also empty in this field

Topic:

System

THANK YOU! I can now open any themes, any msstyles, any files! My problem is fixed! Thanks a billion man. ^_^

OK no problem. Did this problem start just after you downloaded the Royale Noir theme?

Do I understand the problem correctly? You could select themes from Windows desktop properties drop down list but you could not go into the file directly and activate the theme? Is that right?

My problem is solved, but there may be a user that has a similar problem and needs the solution. For reference for myself, and that unnamed user :P i post this:

For .msstyles:

Action:

open

C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\windows\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Appearance /Action:OpenMSTheme /file:"%1"

(Check) Use DDE:

DDE Message:

Blank

Application:

shell32

DDE Application Not Running:

Blank:

Topic:

System

For .theme

Action:

open

(Check) Use DD:

DDE Message:

Blank

Application:

Shell32

DDE Application Not Running:

Blank

Topic:

System

OK no problem. Did this problem start just after you downloaded the Royale Noir theme?

Do I understand the problem correctly? You could select themes from Windows desktop properties drop down list but you could not go into the file directly and activate the theme? Is that right?

That is right, i could do that. But when i wanted to use royale noir, it has a bug where it can only be activated if the .theme or .msstyle is cicked on. So this inspired me to create this thread, so i could use royale noir. Not to mention it was getting on my nerves that i couldent use themes. I belive this was caused by me correcting every single problem with abexo and a variety of other registry cleaners. That wont happen ever again, only cc and AWC can be trusted.

That is right, i could do that. But when i wanted to use royale noir, it has a bug where it can only be activated if the .theme or .msstyle is cicked on. So this inspired me to create this thread, so i could use royale noir. Not to mention it was getting on my nerves that i couldent use themes. I belive this was caused by me correcting every single problem with abexo and a variety of other registry cleaners. That wont happen ever again, only cc and AWC can be trusted.

OK, I understand.I learned something new today ;)

Glad you solved your problem.

Why don't you use the Zune theme its like a perfected Royale Nior?

fireryone

Great work in getting it sorted fellas. :)

The Zune theme was posted by rridgely a while back and Woody had this warning which I think was fixed with a later release:

Just so everyone knows... this theme does not install correctly. If you notice the theme is a mix of the zune and classic theme. The shell style is not installed correctly. To fix this go to c:windows:resources:themes:zune and create a new folder called "Shell" and inside the shell folder create another folder called "NormalColor" move the shellstyle.dll from the zune folder into the normalcolor folder and reapply the theme. Now the tasks list in the shell will be themed correctly, as well as other areas. Now go to somewhere like My Documents and see the difference. I love the orange start button btw.

rridgely's post

Great work in getting it sorted fellas. :)

The Zune theme was posted by rridgely a while back and Woody had this warning which I think was fixed with a later release:

rridgely's post

It must have been fixed because I installed Zune tonight and it works perfectly and all the files/folders are already set up the way rridgely suggested in that post.

Glad you solved your problem.

Why don't you use the Zune theme its like a perfected Royale Nior?

I read that a few times but I installed both those themes tonight and they look really different to me.

Zune seems to have gray/black look. Royale Nior has a Midnight blue (purplish) look. Also the place I down loaded the Royale Nior from also included the blue version of it . So when you go into Display Properties/ appearance tab/ in the color scheme field there is the option to select the black or blue version. Also I didn't need to patch the UXtheme.dll. I just unzipped it to the themes folder and it works well. Some sites had a modified version and you needed the patch to use it.

One thing though is that the theme is not visible in the Display Properties/Theme drop down list. You have to go into the folder and click on luna.msstyles and that launches the Display Properties dialog. Than once you make the adjustments you want and set the wall paper save that set up and that set up will be in the drop down list.

I read that a few times but I installed both those themes tonight and they look really different to me.

Zune seems to have gray/black look. Royale Nior has a Midnight blue (purplish) look. Also the place I down loaded the Royale Nior from also included the blue version of it . So when you go into Display Properties/ appearance tab/ in the color scheme field there is the option to select the black or blue version. Also I didn't need to patch the UXtheme.dll. I just unzipped it to the themes folder and it works well. Some sites had a modified version and you needed the patch to use it.

One thing though is that the theme is not visible in the Display Properties/Theme drop down list. You have to go into the folder and click on luna.msstyles and that launches the Display Properties dialog. Than once you make the adjustments you want and set the wall paper save that set up and that set up will be in the drop down list.

I despise the orange start button on the zune theme. The reason for this thread was because of the royale noir bug, royale noir was the "Beta" for the zune theme.

I despise the orange start button on the zune theme. The reason for this thread was because of the royale noir bug, royale noir was the "Beta" for the zune theme.

I'm not too fond of that orange button either. That bug with the Noir theme is really not a problem for me. Once I go into the folder and activate the theme that way I save my set up and name it Noir and it appears in the theme drop down list. I also got the blue version with the Noir. As I said no hack needed from where I down loaded it from.