Windows XP SP2

Tom AZ

It appears that Windows XP SP2 is pretty much a "security" update. I'm currently using a Windows XP SP1 machine and so far have not updated to SP2. However, I do have a number of other security apps installed (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc). So, just wondering if SP2 is still a necessary and/or important update?

• Moderators

Yes.

SP2 is a huge update and should always be installed to any windows xp install. No matter what you do, if you don't keep an updated computer you will always have the potential for malware problems. Its probably the most important thing you can do.

Yes.

SP2 is a huge update and should always be installed to any windows xp install. No matter what you do, if you don't keep an updated computer you will always have the potential for malware problems. Its probably the most important thing you can do.

WOW! That sounds pretty emphatic.

Is this upgrade pretty simple and straightforward -- or is there a possibility of it getting a little dicey?

Hi tom. :)

This is the site for the traditional WXP update method, where you just leave it all up to Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

This site allows you to download SP2 into a folder and save it onto a cd, or just order the CD:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/winxpsp2-security.html

I used the second method because the download is big, 270 + mb, and SP2 is the first thing you'll want to install if you ever have to do a reinstall. So I have it on CD. There may be a way to download it directly from Microsoft, but I don't know how.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I just upgraded from Windows XP SP1 to SP2 using the Windows Automatic Update feature. The process took a little while, but everything seems to have gone OK -- I think?????

Now, I'm wondering if should I be making some sort of "bootable" disk? If so, I'd welcome any suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks to everyone for all the input along the way.

• Moderators

I'd also recommend downloading the full SP2 package and burning it to a CD. It's important to have a copy available on CD because the next time you need to install Windows you'll have SP2 readily available and won't have to mess around in Services to enable the off by default firewall in SP1, then you can download all the Microsoft/Windows Updates in relative peace with firewall protection.