Bump Keys

DennisD

• Moderators

It wouldn't work on my home doors - not since I have dead bolts.

I find it very interesting how people with publish things to give would be crooks ideas of how to do things. I've known in the past that crooks could create a mold of a lock using some technics, then create an exact duplicate working metal key.

It's as perplexing as the news channels stating terrorists may attack food, or water supplies just giving them an idea they "may or may not have had." In any event it's like telling them if you want to harm us here's how. :rolleyes:

I can pick most tumbler locks with my snap gun, it is much quieter than a bump key and electric picks and faster than manual picking. no, I'm not a burgler, i am just interested in things like lock picking.

bump keys- http://www.lockpicks.com/index.asp?PageAct...&ProdID=695

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

It wouldn't work on my home doors - not since I have dead bolts.

I find it very interesting how people with publish things to give would be crooks ideas of how to do things. I've known in the past that crooks could create a mold of a lock using some technics, then create an exact duplicate working metal key.

It's as perplexing as the news channels stating terrorists may attack food, or water supplies just giving them an idea they "may or may not have had." In any event it's like telling them if you want to harm us here's how. :rolleyes:

It works fine on deadbolts, as long as it takes a non-cylindrical key. but again, bump keys are generally loud when used, and snap guns are imho the best way to commit a burglary. if you are paranoid, you can get a cylindrical dead bolt half that takes the kinds of keys that are on vending machines. I have a training lock of one of these and it is so hard to pick, most burglers would just go to the next house.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

How easy is it to use a bump key?

Video sharing websites like youtube.com and video.google.com have videos of young men demonstrating their bump key abilities, and how easy it really is. Although they are showing themselves opening their own front door, think of the countless many that have learned how to use a bump key and decided it would be "fun" to open their neighbor or friend's doors? Many of them do not know the consequences of a breaking-and-entering crime.

Why is the bump key such a threat?

The bump key is quite the burglary tool -- it can be made easily, is made from any key (not just keyblanks), and the instructions are all over the internet on how to make and use this burglary tool. Unfortunately, they are also easily available online and from auction sites. Generally lockpicks and other locksmith tools are difficult to obtain and use, the bump key is easy to make and requires very little skill to use.

And many more refrences....

Surprising how obvious they make it.

fireryone

• 2 years later...

W0W sooooo old :)

And no I've never tried, I've tried and failed our own locks with hair pins lol

and to stay on topic someone figured out a pattern for getting through a cars 'number code" based keyless entry via brute force

(3129 keypresses) , lol

and with breaking in to anything I recommend only doing it on your own house/vehicle. otherwise, enjoy prison lol.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1520430

fireryone

Well I feel ripped off ! I have "the complete book of locks and locksmithing" and there`s no reference to "Bumping" at all

so it`s not so "complete" is it then Mr Bill Philips, author

Holds hands in air-No `im not a burglar either,just find locks fascinating !!

Would recommend people have 5 lever mortice locks

• 3 months later...