conversion software

• Moderators
btw, vso divxtodvd has been renamed to vso convertxtodvd.

Yep, knew that, but unless I'm mistaken, it isn't free under that name, but trialware.

VSO ConvertxtoDVD:

Looking for free video converter software? ConvertXtoDVD is free video converter evaluation software - a small payment and you no longer have the VSO watermark on the video output.

The link I provided is, as far as I know, the last freeware version.

:)

I haven't used Avi2Dvd for awhile, however it works like a charm so long as you select the proper properties for your region, e.g.; PAL or NTSC, etc.

what is pal and ntsc ? i havent a clue. i usually just download something and watch on my computer, but someone i know really wanted this tv show and i downloaded it, but its in avi form and she wants to see it on the dvd player on the tv.

this is my first attempt at this sort of thing.

• Moderators
what is pal and ntsc ?

It's explained on wikipedia.com:

* NTSC

* PAL

Basically it matters what country you live in, and what type of T.V. set you have.

Edit:

For instance I once created a DVD from an AVI that was supposedly originally from a PAL source. If I'm remembering correctly (it was last year that I did this) I had to deinterlace the video or something along those lines so it would display correctly on my NTSC television.

• Moderators
what is pal and ntsc ? i havent a clue. i usually just download something and watch on my computer, but someone i know really wanted this tv show and i downloaded it, but its in avi form and she wants to see it on the dvd player on the tv.

this is my first attempt at this sort of thing.

VSO DivxtoDVD is a piece of cake. Everything is automatic.

2007-06-10_010907.jpg.xs.jpg

Click on the folder next to the cross, and browse for your file. I've loaded one as an example.

Stipulate in the menu window underneath where you want to save the conversion. The format (Pal or NTSC) is automatic, (same as original file) as is the aspect ratio (widescreen or whatever the original is).

Depending upon the size of the converted file, you may be able to burn this straight to CD or DVD, but you don't need CopytoDVD, just leave that unchecked for now.

I've done a few of these recently, so pm me if I can help, in case I miss your post.

Just bear in mind, whatever you use, it can take about 2 hours for say, a 90 min file.

One final word of advice, if you use this, it occasionally asks you if you want to look for a new version. If you agree etc, it will download and install the trialware version. (99% sure of this).

As far as I'm aware, this is the last freeware version.

• Moderators
As far as I'm aware, this is the last freeware version.

That's why I archived it on two CD-R's when I made my downloaded software backups. You seem as impressed with it as I do FairUse Wizard, which I happened upon after following your last freeware links to video software! The next time I need to convert an AVI into a DVD I'll give it a whirl. ;)

• Moderators

I'm pleased you mentioned that Andavari.

Totally forgot that I had downloaded that as well as VSO, as I'm thinking about buying a standalone DVD/Divx player.

My local Asda (now owned by Wallmart) sell them for about ?30, and the good thing about Asda is their great no questions asked refund policy if you're not happy.

My daughter has a ?20 DVD player in her bedroom from Asda, which has as good a picture and sound as the one her stupid dad payed ?200 for. ;)

Divx movies at about 700mb are pretty good, but you do, as far as I've discovered, lose a bit of lateral fluidity in the conversion to DVD, although they're still very watchable.

Edit: Referring to Fairuse Wizard.