Some Florida Wildlife

LuLu

Ok Dennis...here's the snake you wanted a picture of. I finally got him to hold still. :lol:

snake1og6.th.jpg

snake2mb8.th.jpg

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators
Ok Dennis...here's the snake you wanted a picture of. I finally got him to hold still. :lol:

Excellent. Thanks Lulu.

Do you ever get used to finding things like that in your backyard? If I found something like that undulating it's way across my yard I'd be mortified.

Been reading a little about this snake.

Part of the racer's success is due to its wide diet; they have been referred to as "slithering garbage pails." Racers capture a tremendous variety of animals, including other snakes, lizards, frogs, birds, rodents and insects.

Doesn't mention cats. :(

I'm kidding. :) Thanks for the pics, and wear your boots at all times.

Excellent. Thanks Lulu.

Do you ever get used to finding things like that in your backyard? If I found something like that undulating it's way across my yard I'd be mortified.

Oh believe me, I'm never thrilled to see them running amuck. BUT, I prefer to see a racer as opposed to a rattler or any other poisonous slithering thing.

Doesn't mention cats. :(

LOL funny!!! :P

I'm kidding. :) Thanks for the pics, and wear your boots at all times.

Boots? What boots? I'm hardcore...I run around barefoot outside. I even mow my lawn barefoot. Yeah, I'm crazy. haha :lol:

That thing would be meeting Mr.Shovel who lives in my garage and just happens to love cutting snakes in half. :)

That's why I carry my machete. haha But for the most part, if they leave me alone I will leave them alone. If they come near me, well then...bye bye! :D

• Moderators

Cutting grass barefoot? Yuck.

I hope you don't trip or something because then you can say good bye to having 5 toes on both feet. :P (I know someone that this happened too. They were wearing sandals though)

Cutting grass barefoot? Yuck.

LOL I know. My mom doesn't even understand how I do it. But it's pretty easy since our lawn is usually pretty dry. My feet don't get all icky or anything.

I hope you don't trip or something because then you can say good bye to having 5 toes on both feet. :P (I know someone that this happened too. They were wearing sandals though)

Luckily I have a mower that cuts off when you let go of the little lever thing. But the thought of it all backfiring has always sat in the back of my mind. The way I see it though, I can still lose my toes even if I'm wearing shoes. Just depends on what way the mower decides to go. :lol:

Luckily I have a mower that cuts off when you let go of the little lever thing. But the thought of it all backfiring has always sat in the back of my mind. The way I see it though, I can still lose my toes even if I'm wearing shoes. Just depends on what way the mower decides to go. :lol:

Err, but people usually cut their toes off by accident, by which time the cut off is a little late (ie its already happened before you notice and let go).

I take no chances, steel toe cap boots every time :D

Err, but people usually cut their toes off by accident, by which time the cut off is a little late (ie its already happened before you notice and let go).

You make a good point. Maybe I should ask Santa for a rider mower for Christmas this year. ;)

I take no chances, steel toe cap boots every time :D

I'm a dare-devil, what can I say? Plus, it's too hot in Florida for boots. And I sure as heck don't want a funky tan line. :lol:

I'm a dare-devil, what can I say? Plus, it's too hot in Florida for boots. And I sure as heck don't want a funky tan line. :lol:

Not really a problem here - maybe get a funky rain line :D

Not really a problem here - maybe get a funky rain line :D

:lol: LOL :lol:

Here's some more Florida wildlife...a big ol' grasshopper. Sorry it's blurry. My cam doesn't do so well when I have to zoom in..lol

grasshopper4yg8.th.jpg

• Moderators
Here's some more Florida wildlife...a big ol' grasshopper. Sorry it's blurry. My cam doesn't do so well when I have to zoom in..lol

grasshopper4yg8.th.jpg

Camera zoom eh. Why didn't you creep up closer because the colours on that thing look really good.

Maybe the snakes put you off. :D

I'm gonna drag my grasshopper pics out now which you may have missed.

I can hear the groans already..."Not again"

Anyway, this guy jumped across the kitchen bench right under my nose when I was dog sitting for my son last year. I kid you not, I nearly had a fit. Took 10 years off my life. When my heart stopped thumping I managed to catch it under a pint glass, and took a few pics.

I've never seen a guy like this before, or since, although it's just your ordinary grasshopper.

Pretty attractive when you click on the close up though.

Grasshopper3.jpg.xs.jpgGrasshopper2.jpg.xs.jpgGrasshopper1.jpg.xs.jpg

And I did take him to the bottom of the garden, gave him his freedom with a strong warning not to come back.

Camera zoom eh. Why didn't you creep up closer because the colours on that thing look really good.

I got as close as I could before he jumped away. So I had to back off on the next try. Little buggers don't like to hold still for anything, even when you talk to them nicely. lol I had a pic of the yellow and black one that was out there too, but it came out super bad. I have to try to get another.

Maybe the snakes put you off. :D

LOL nah. They tend to hang out on a different side of the yard. Today I watched the long-fellow slither into my neighbor's yard though, so that was good. :lol:

I'm gonna drag my grasshopper pics out now which you may have missed.

I can hear the groans already..."Not again"

Anyway, this guy jumped across the kitchen bench right under my nose when I was dog sitting for my son last year. I kid you not, I nearly had a fit. Took 10 years off my life. When my heart stopped thumping I managed to catch it under a pint glass, and took a few pics.

I've never seen a guy like this before, or since, although it's just your ordinary grasshopper.

Pretty attractive when you click on the close up though.

Grasshopper3.jpg.xs.jpgGrasshopper2.jpg.xs.jpgGrasshopper1.jpg.xs.jpg

And I did take him to the bottom of the garden, gave him his freedom with a strong warning not to come back.

Now those are cool pics. I'm sorry he almost gave you a heart attack though. lol Too bad you didn't keep him. We could mate them and see what colors we get. haha

• Moderators
We could mate them and see what colors we get. haha

:lol: Thats the closest I've come to falling off my chair.

I just got this mental image of mammy and daddy grasshopper looking down at their rainbow coloured kid and thinking "What on earth is that?"

Poor kid, he'd be like a neon sign to every bird in sight.

I just got this mental image of mammy and daddy grasshopper looking down at their rainbow coloured kid and thinking "What on earth is that?"

Followed by "You been shagging the parrot again?!?!"

:lol: Thats the closest I've come to falling off my chair.

Poor kid, he'd be like a neon sign to every bird in sight.

:lol: LOL True. But the birds might be afraid of them...or get blinded by the colors. haha

Followed by "You been shagging the parrot again?!?!"

LMAO :lol::lol:

I'm just full of wildlife today. :lol: Here's a garter snake that greeted me by the garage door. It's about a foot and a half long and very fat (which means he's eating good..lol).

gartersnakejt6.th.jpg