japanese baby abandon stations?

rridgely

• Moderators

Were you all aware that japan had places where you could just drop off babies if you don't want them? I know I didn't.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/1...p.ap/index.html

The article is about a man who dropped off his preschool age kid off at one of these things! What the hell is wrong with people?

I think the whole idea of an abandonment station is a bunch of garbage anyway but to leave a small child who is aware of whats happening at one of these things is even worse.

In the US several states allow a mother to drop off her unwanted newborn at designated places and just walk away, no questions asked. Hospital emergency rooms, police stations, fire stations, etc. I believe Australia has similar laws. It's not an ideal situation, but it's better than the mother just throwing the baby in a river or in a garbage dumpster.

Hello. The idea was to provide a place for mothers who could not/would not care for their newly born babies. Figuring this was better than smothering; leaving in a locker, garbage disposal area, etc., the Catholic Hospital set this up. Too many young mothers over here (and dads, too) just killing their new borns. It was never designed to take care of 3 year olds that people got tired of... Evidently, legally it is OK, but a lot of voices are rising to say what ever happened to morals, family, etc.

• Moderators

Personally I think people need to own up to their actions and take care of their kids and in an ideal world that would happen. I'm not delusional and I know the world isn't perfect, so I somewhat agree with the stations.(not really but its better then the alternatives I guess) but the real issue in the article is the nutcase who left his 3 year old. That is a completehly different situation all together(the kid could talk and understand that his father left him).

I'm all for there being adoptions but I really don't like the fact that their letting these people give away those kids anonymously. I think if someone is giving up their kid for no other reason then they just don't want it, that there should be a certain level of shame involved. Maybe thats just me.

We have my of these "safe places" around my city, and I think they are a good idea. I can understand dropping off a newborn, especially if you know you can't take care of it and know the kid will have a better life without you. But a 3 year old?? Damn. That's just dumb. That type of "drop off" should not be allowed. The child should be handed over to a family member or placed for adoption.

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

I think we all agree that the basic idea would be good in a perfect world, but as rridgely has mentioned, we don't live in a perfect world.

It wouldn't take too bright, or devious a mind to realise that it would be ever so simple to set up a bogus "child depository" in a big city.

For that reason alone, a strong re-think on the basic concept is needed. Sooner rather than later.