cd to mp3

TheFiresInTheSky

i need a program that will convert cd to mp3. i want to be able to select which songs to extract to the pc. i need to do several cds. i tried a few but they make the file track 1.mp3 then when i go to the next cd and extract the first track, it overwrites it.

ive already tried the most popular eusing software which did what i described above.

please let me know asap! thanks all!

-aaron

Not sure what you've tried, but I use MusicMatch for ripping CDs. It self-titles the MP3 as long as the artist/song is in the MusicMatch database. If it's not, I give it my own title once the program is done copying. You can title any MP3 after it's written to your hard drive. You just have to locate the folder it's in, then right-click on the file name that's there and click *Rename* in the drop down menu.

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Problem is I want to do about 2000 songs, I'll try musicmatch and report back. thanks!

Problem is I hate WMP! I have it uninstalled and don't think I'll install it again.

• Moderators

Windows Media Player makes it about as simple as it gets. You just put the disc in and it will rip them to your my music folder organized by artist then cd name. You can choose your bitrate(you want mp3 but I usually use WMA Lossless). You should be good with WMP10 or 11.

Winamp will do it too along with just about every other major program.(but I think winamp does it super slow if you don't pay for the pro version.. or is it just burning?)

I use flac now a days though.(for quality)

No offense but if music match is as bad as it used to be then its about the worst possible program. I used to have to use it with my sony mp3 players and the software is the sole reason I quit using my 300 dollar player and bought a new rio one.(which is awesome but they went out of business. :( )

• Moderators

Never mind the crap I was using was called sonic stage. Music match sucked too but I just looked and its now owned by yahoo?

Who knows it may be better?

I would just use wmp, foobar, winamp, or media monkey. All free, all great.

No offense but if music match is as bad as it used to be then its about the worst possible program. I used to have to use it with my sony mp3 players and the software is the sole reason I quit using my 300 dollar player and bought a new rio one.(which is awesome but they went out of business. :( )

Well that sucks. :unsure: I've never had any problems with MM and I've been using it for quite a few years. Did the songs not work on your player or was the quality real bad?

Tried foobar, it labeled songs as 01 CD Track 01.wav then when i went to the next cd, it wanted to overwrite them.

i guess my last hope is to try MM and if that doesnt work, ill have to resort to WMP.

• Moderators

Are you using custom made cds? Or are you using store bought ones?

If your using store bought ones as long as your not blocking it with a firewall or anything the players should connect to the internet and lable your songs.

If your using custom cds then your going to have to manually lable the songs.

The thing is I don't care to label the songs. It's not important. It's actually for my grandmas mp3 player and she just wants a random shuffle so that shouldn't be too hard.

• Moderators

2000 songs without names? That would be nothing but frustrating.

Anyway your still probably going to have to manually edit the songs otherwise any player will probably just lable them 1,2,3 ect.

well, they're store bought cds, but nothing ive tried so far gets the titles/artists. i guess its time to finally reinstall WMP11 and hope its better than any of the other versions...

The thing is I don't care to label the songs. It's not important. It's actually for my grandmas mp3 player and she just wants a random shuffle so that shouldn't be too hard.

Then just go rename the songs as song 1, song 2, etc. Every program you use will give a generic title if there is nothing specific for it to be named as. And each time you put in a new CD to rip, the process will start over again, hence the rewriting of previous tracks. If you intend to copy 2000 songs, you will have to start titling them yourself after they are copied.

Yeah, well the point of this topic was to see if I could get past renaming every single song. 2000 songs is a lot of songs to rename.

• Moderators

You need to figure out if you want your stuff accurately ripped, and accurately encoded. I would suggest going with Exact Audio Copy, then look online for setting it up properly with Secure Mode and AccurateRip so that you know you have a good error free rip.

Next you'll need the best MP3 encoder which is LAME, use the current stable release build which is LAME v3.97 which can be downloaded from here.

That's about the gist of what I'll explain because people seriously need to search for these ultra common questions. Most, if not all of how to do this-and-that with ripping CDs is already correctly and properly answered on Hydrogenaudio.org either in threads or in the Wiki.