Post removed

MikeW

A recent post from a member Arjon reporting that after using CCleaner all of his files had been removed. Seems to have been deleted. I am curious as to why.

Specially since the problem he reported, has been reported several times before while I have been visiting this forum. I seem to remember that this error was attributed to the "Temp Variable" settings being non standard.

Was his post deletion neccessary, would it not have been to everyones advantage to establish the cause, in case it occurs again ??

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

The difference in what those people reported and what he reported was that he was claiming the directory structure was still in tact. Knowing the way CCleaner works it just isn't possible for it to scan your hard drive and only remove movies, music, and documents. The guys attitude on top of the bogus claim just lead to the conclusion that he was just causing trouble. MrG is the one who deleted his post and he knows better than anyone what CCleaner can and cant do. I only left the posts last night so that they could run an IP check.

And thats that.

• Moderators

It wasn't really the problem, why it was deleted, it was the way he did the post (his attitude). The Temp Variable has been fixed and none of us can reproduce this problem. Some of the stuff he was saying, I don't think is even possible to do with CCleaner, I have tried everything I could on my test pc to screw anything up, and I have had no luck.

But like I said, it was the way he did the post, which was totally uncalled for. Even MrG has looked into the problem with no luck, if we could get more info then CCleaner deleted everything, that doesn't explain anything at all.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

It wasn't really the problem, why it was deleted, it was the way he did the post (his attitude). The Temp Variable has been fixed and none of us can reproduce this problem. Some of the stuff he was saying, I don't think is even possible to do with CCleaner, I have tried everything I could on my test pc to screw anything up, and I have had no luck.

But like I said, it was the way he did the post, which was totally uncalled for. Even MrG has looked into the problem with no luck, if we could get more info then CCleaner deleted everything, that doesn't explain anything at all.

Thanks for your explanation.

I contacted Arjun off line and established that the C drive where he installed CCleaner was all correctly cleaned. His second internal drive D appears to have been seen as a temp by CC clearing all the files on it but leaving folder headers. Still think its a pity we could not have helped rather than hitting the delete key. I am sure anyone of us would have been very annoyed at losing treaured data.

• Moderators

It could be the Temp Variables, if he set D: as his temp folder. But, that would be user error, and dumb on his part if he did, because any program would clean the same.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

It could be the Temp Variables,

Which is what I pointed out in my first post ;) It may well be worth investigating to see if a modified temp variable to include a temp folder on another drive could cause a problem.

Hey guys...

I know I'm not an admin or anything, but I was reading through the topic about that, where rridgely was replying to; he did one hell-of-a job being the bigger person, and trying to explain to that guy what happened, and what couldn't have happened. Big props to him.

Also, Arjon was dissing the program pretty badly, calling it some "half finished, piece of beta crap" (or something along those lines.) Obviously, he screwed something up, considering that the facts are that million's of people have downloaded it with no problems as drastic as his.

Just throwing my support behind you guys,

AJ

• Moderators
Obviously, he screwed something up, considering that the facts are that million's of people have downloaded it with no problems as drastic as his.

He didn't necessarily "screw" something up because there's enough registry cleaners free and commercial that can make unexpected registry changes that will effect allot of stuff, and then the next registry cleaning program or disk cleaning program used will go by what "variables" are available. Some registry cleaning programs even remove more than what they're showing the user on-screen, hence the reason I've always stated to look at the undo .reg files. One in particular I stopped using which I used to maintain a customized exclude.ini for which was constantly wanting to mess with some variables in the registry.