AOL's Password Puzzler

Humpty

A reader wrote in Friday with an interesting observation: When he went to access his AOL.com account, he accidentally entered an extra character at the end of his password. But that didn't stop him from entering his account. Curious, the reader tried adding multiple alphanumeric sequences after his password, and each time it logged him in successfully.

It turns out that when someone signs up for an AOL.com account, the user appears to be allowed to enter up to a 16-character password. AOL's system, however, doesn't read past the first eight characters.

Article

Just tried it and its right. Also, just noticed, if you enter an completely incorrect password it brings up a window asking you to enter it again and doesn't let you enter more letters than the passwords length, meaning you can find out the length of a persons password easily. Probably also a bad idea security wise.

If your still using aol email I feel bad for you.

AOL users drop that crap and get something better:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogi...mp;ltmplcache=2

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I tried Thunderbird a while back and didn't really get on with it. Been meaning to give it another try, along with GAIM/Pidgin, so I can access my AOL mail and IMs without actually using AOL itself. Just haven't got round to it yet.

• Moderators

This new version of thunderbird is fantastic. Much cleaner interface and the tagging features are awesome.

Gaim is 10000000000 times better then AOL's program. No ads, optional spellchecking, can be logged into aim msn yahoo all at the same time. There is just nothing better out there. (Some like trillian I guess. I didn't. )