Creating a startup / boot floppy disk...

Robbie

Floppy disks... the way to go forward! :lol:

A few years ago when my computer had a floppy disk drive I was able to create a startup disk that loaded things like ntldr from the floppy to be able to boot up the computer. All I had to do was change the startup sequence in the BIOS so the computer looked for a floppy disk drive first. I've just bought an external FDD and would like to recreate the same disk but I'm not sure what files I used to have as the emergency startup disk. Does anyone know which files should be there or can they point me to a website which has this information? Also, will the external (USB) FDD start as if it was an internal FDD and therefore I can change the BIOS settings if it was ever needed?

Thanks for any help!

• Moderators

I know you're looking for a bootable floppy disk, however making a bootable CD-R will result into a much faster bootup. Plus CD-R's are vastly more reliable over floppy disks in the long run since floppies can get bad sectors even if they aren't used.

I know you're looking for a bootable floppy disk, however making a bootable CD-R will result into a much faster bootup. Plus CD-R's are vastly more reliable over floppy disks in the long run since floppies can get bad sectors even if they aren't used.
I tried to find a way to recreate the same boot disk using a CD disk but could never find how to do it... I thought it wasn't possible to re create a bootible floppy on CD...?

• Moderators

Bootable CD's to my knowledge need a boot image created for them. Many CD/DVD burning software programs can do this for you automatically - so long as you have the boot disk files ready to go.