linux cube thing for windows

rridgely

• Moderators

Everyone by now has seen the videos the linux people put on youtube of them doing the cube thing with beryl. Well here is a program to do it on windows:

http://chsalmon.club.fr/index.php?en/Yod-m-3d-about

I didn't download it and I probably wont. I just figured I would post it if anyone here is interested.

Here is youtube vid of someone using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYUQmAruH1g

BTW I found this on digg.

• Moderators

When I posted a video about this thing a few weeks ago, I thought it was gobsmacking.

But once you've seen it you've seen it. I can't see any practical use for having multi desktops spinning around.

Although, I may give it a spin under Power Shadow, just out of curiosity you understand.

:)

• Moderators
But once you've seen it you've seen it. I can't see any practical use for having multi desktops spinning around.

Watching the YouTube video demo of it was all I needed to see to know that it wouldn't appeal to me.

• Moderators

I take it back, this thing is pretty amazing, and super smooth.

I've got 4 different desktops open, Faststone Viewer on one, this forum on number 2, Windows Media Player on 3, and Paragon Hard Disk Manager on 4, and Yod'm3D runs at a steady 17mb.

And I've already got a practical use for it: My daughter is always popping in and asking me to minimize whatever I've got going as she wants to check her emails, or look up a holiday or something.

Now, just spin her a brand new desktop with no clutter.

Obviously, I've no idea yet if it runs as smooth as this all the time, but if all OK, definitely keeping it.

And of course, it's freeware.

Edit: The YouTube video doesn't do it justice.

• Moderators

Microsoft has their own multi desktop tool for free as well. Its part of the powertoys and can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

It doesn't do the fancy cube thing though. You just get buttons in your task try too choose from.

I have on average probably 8-10 windows/programs open and on top of that like 8-9 FF tabs. I already always loose track of what I'm doing, so if I had 4 desktops to choose from they would all get that cluttered and I would literally never get anything done. :P

• Moderators
I have on average probably 8-10 windows/programs open and on top of that like 8-9 FF tabs. I already always loose track of what I'm doing, so if I had 4 desktops to choose from they would all get that cluttered and I would literally never get anything done. :P

With that many things going at once you'll need a therapist, a lie down, and a cup of Ovaltine.

This things worth a try though. It's just an exe file, not a full install.

Gonna run it for a while.

Thanks for the link rridley. :)

Gave it a whirl here as well.

I reckon it's quite nifty and a definite keeper here as, like Dennis, I have kids that drop in and always kick me off (actually they ask nicely) to check their MY Space and Hotmail.

I have set it to use just the ctrl and arrow key also set the transperancy to 50% which allows you to see all 4 desktops with the ctrl key and grab whichever with your mouse and spin into focus.

You can also right click the taskbar icon and select which desktop but an app or folder must be open on the desktop for the right click option to see it.

Probably got a few other options that I haven't found as yet.

Anyways I'm gonna show off with it when friends drop in. :rolleyes:

It actually quite nice :)

Go into settings and change to "standard wallpaper" and use the 7th Ray wallpaper from here: Adni18 7th Ray It actually makes the earth look 3D in the center of your cube (needs transparency turned on)

Try it with other wallpapers you like.

::EDIT::

Also use the mouse to turn and scroll (if you have one) out, way out. looks good on a large wallpaper in widescreen!

fireryone