Occasional 'hanging' after bootup

DennisD

• Moderators

Not sure where to post this, as it appears to be a software error as opposed to malware, although I'm not sure either way.

Intermittently, my pc hangs after bootup if I select any Windows Explorer folder as per screenshots.

MyPicturesHang.jpg.xs.jpg

null.jpg.xs.jpg

I get one of two error messages.

Can't find the particular folder,(my documents, my pictures, my music etc), or can't find '(null)'.

I can open all other applications without any problems, although as mentioned, this is intermittent.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Ok, so you can't access these folders ever or just after boot up(like it works later?)?

If it just started I would try using dial a fix (just run everything by pressing the green checkmarks then go) and if that doesn't work I would try a system restore.

Your saying that you can't open any folders at all right?

Sorry its been a long day. :P

• Moderators

After booting up's finished, if I try to access any folders with Windows Explorer, pc hangs and I have to reboot.

But this doesn't happen every time I boot. Mostly just works as normal, but it's happened 3 times this week.

Seriously though, this is not an urgent problem. Really minor compared to most of the stuff you deal with.

I'll try dial a fix, then come back later (like not tonight, or this morning, whatever) if it continues.

I suggest you have a cup of Ovaltine, have a lie down, and think of that top of the range Mac you're gonna treat yourself to one of these days.

:)

• Moderators
I suggest you have a cup of Ovaltine, have a lie down, and think of that top of the range Mac you're gonna treat yourself to one of these days.

I haven't heard the Ovaltine name mentioned in years! I think he likes this Mac. :P

• Moderators
Just guessing here but it may relate to windows search and or its history.

Does CCleaner clear the search assistant history?

If not see line 24, right column, at the link below.

Kelly's tips

Thanks for the tip Humpty, just d'ld that. Worth a try.

Regarding CCleaner, I've had "Search Assistant Autocomplete" and "Recent Documents" unchecked in Windows Explorer. Can't remember doing that. <_<

Rectified that, and will see how that goes.

• Moderators
Does CCleaner clear the search assistant history?

Humpty, I'll know for sure if your suggestion has done the trick after a few days, but so far re-checking those options has made opening folders with windows explorer a lot faster, and no hangups yet.

Edit: Still hanging.

• Moderators
Ok, so you can't access these folders ever or just after boot up(like it works later?)?

If it just started I would try using dial a fix (just run everything by pressing the green checkmarks then go) and if that doesn't work I would try a system restore.

Your saying that you can't open any folders at all right?

Sorry its been a long day. :P

At the end of an angst ridden day :( , and in the middle of a stressed out post <_< , there was a little gem.

Dial-a-fix.

Just remembered that, and appear to have cured the problem at last by checking only "Registration Centre > Explorer/IE/OE/Shell/WMP".

rridgely, you little beauty.

• Moderators
Done that.

Found his email address to thank him directly.

I could have given it to you, sorry about that. Its pretty obvious now that you've seen it considering what his site is called. :P

I just didn't post it directly because of spam bots.