Windows XP to be phased out by year's end

Humpty

You "will" use Vista, eh. :unsure:

Computer makers have been told they'll no longer be able to get Windows XP OEM by the end of this year, despite consumer resistance to Vista and its compatibility problems.

By early 2008, Microsoft's contracts with computer makers will require companies to only sell Vista-loaded machines. "The OEM version of XP Professional goes next January," said Frank Luburic, senior ThinkPad product manager for Lenovo. "At that point, they'll have no choice."

Despite Microsoft's relentless promotion of Vista, manufacturers are still seeing plenty of demand from customers for systems preloaded with XP, especially in the finicky SOHO market.

Article

• Moderators

Just another reason why its better to build your computers. :)

I may just go buy another boxed version of xp. Just in case I build a pc in the somewhat near future.

I've given up for now on linux. It just isn't where it needs to be for me to make the switch. -_-

• Moderators
I've given up for now on linux. It just isn't where it needs to be for me to make the switch. -_-

Don't forget about SourceForge.net, I know there's some Linux hardware drivers on there as I stumbled upon them a year or two ago. Don't ask how good they are, I don't know.

I really dont know what the big deal is. I can do anything on vista that i can do on xp. I really dont notice a big difference, and they are both good systems in my opinion. :)

• Moderators
Don't forget about SourceForge.net, I know there's some Linux hardware drivers on there as I stumbled upon them a year or two ago. Don't ask how good they are, I don't know.

Well I hope you can figure out how to install them because I couldn't.

When I tried to install the "asla" sound driver thing it was in like 3 or 4 different files and you had to install each from the command line.

I found instructions but while following them I realized they were leaving stuff out. Then when I rebooted to see if it worked the computer wouldn't boot. <_<

I tried 4 times and had the same results each time so I gave up. :(

I really dont know what the big deal is. I can do anything on vista that i can do on xp. I really dont notice a big difference, and they are both good systems in my opinion. :)

I can tell you why you don't notice a difference. You have an amazingly powerful laptop and a rather humble desktop. If your laptop was running XP, you'd be amazed by how fast it is. Vista is -slow-. No ifs ands or buts about it. Every day I work with Vista, and every day, I feel like stabbing Ballmer in the neck with a screwdriver.

IPB Image

I can tell you why you don't notice a difference. You have an amazingly powerful laptop and a rather humble desktop. If your laptop was running XP, you'd be amazed by how fast it is. Vista is -slow-. No ifs ands or buts about it. Every day I work with Vista, and every day, I feel like stabbing Ballmer in the neck with a screwdriver.

LOL! I dont know who Ballmer is, but I am glad I am not him/her! :)

So you think my laptop would be faster with xp? hmmmmm. i wonder if i can have a xp loaded and choose to run between the two just for comparison sake.

So what about when I update my desktop to a faster model? I will be waiting till the quad cores are out, but if i got a 3 gig, quad core running vista (or probably by then, vienna), it should be fast enough.

I wonder if vista will be "blip", and vienna will be better and more liked, or will vienna be along the same lines.