Windows installer and updater problem

Stephen

After a windows XP Home repair install, my windows installer and updater is hosed. I've tried a lot of things to no avail. I did find a log from when I did the repair. It has the following: ".....FATAL: MSI DLL version is 3.0. Version 3.1 is required." This is followed by: "...WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installed rule, updateId = {B627A8FF-19CD-45F5-A938-32879DD90123}.100, error = 0x80241001."

I understand from this and other attempts at fixing this that I have the 3.0 installer version when I'm supposed to have the 3.1 version. I also cannot install the 3.1 version - I just get an "access denied" error message.

Is there anything in the above log text that suggests a possible solution to anyone?

To me that error you listed is as if it's telling you that Windows Installer v3.1 must be installed. You can get v3.1 Redist (v2) here.

I've tried to install v3.1 Redist (v2) - to no avail. I get an "Access denied" error message.

Did you tried to rename the "Catroot2" folder like explained in Microsft'link (my previous post)? And after that to reboot the PC?

I didn't try that yet. I wasn"t quite sure how it worked. I'll read it again and see if I can do it.