Seven ways to keep your search history private

Humpty

The greatest threat to your privacy may not come from cookies, spyware or websites tracking and analysing your web surfing habits.

Instead, it may come from search engines, which collect and store records of your searches. Search engines track your search terms, the sites you visit as a result of your searches, the times you conduct your searches and your IP address. This makes it possible to figure out who you are, what your likes and dislikes are, and what you do online.

Does this mean that you give up your privacy every time you visit a search engine? Not if you're smart about it. Follow these seven tips, and you'll go a long way toward keeping your search history private, no matter which search engine you use.

Article

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I really need to hide myself from Google or other search engines. I haven't searched for bomb guides or goverment passwords, so I'd think I'm pretty safe if these school project searchs get to wrong hands. Little paranoid?

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know if I really need to hide myself from Google or other search engines. I haven't searched for bomb guides or goverment passwords, so I'd think I'm pretty safe if these school project searchs get to wrong hands. Little paranoid?

There was once a law called 'freedom of speech' - nowadays with the online community this seems to no longer apply (after all we are no longer 'speaking' !), therefore searching for 'bomb stuff' etc, can get you arrested (!) but if you spoke about it in the street you cannot get arrested (!?) ***

I am not a lawyer or law-type person so I don't know the in's-&-out's of it, but I do think a 'freedom of thought' (which was always assumed) should be implemented for net searches. For example, going back to the original query - I can walk into any library and do hours of research on 'the b-word' and not get arrested, but if I do the same using search engines ...

*** unless you are a radical

(are free radical's not good for your skin!?)