What is InstallShield?

David_L

I was looking under Windows Control Panel and found an icon for "Program Updates" and opened it and I get an update manager for InstallShield giving me update settings for Sonic Update Manager and InstallShield Update Manager. What is it they update? Thanks.

• Moderators

Google is your friend!!! :P

Basically it's a commercial installation maker. More info is available on their website at http://www.installshield.com/

Sonic Update Manager is for their Sonic products like Sonic RecordNow, etc., that checks every time you launch the application.

About InstallShield Update Manager, straight from the horses mouth.

Google, huh? Never heard of it ;)

I actually did Google it and read a bit on the Macrovison website but when I got to the part about "Improve your end user's installation experience" my eyes glazed over and my brain shut down as I am the end user and felt they weren't speaking to me. I didn't remember seeing the icon in my Control Panel before so I was wondering if it was something malicious since it didn't say "Microsoft" (eeeek) anywhere on it. Thanks for the info!!

yea it turned up on our machines aswell, I think is was a game I installed added it, I disabled it in msconfig (start/run type msconfig , select startup, uncheck issch) as I didn't need it auto updating.

fireryone