MS Office - what should Regseeker exclude and other software exclude?

BrownSugar

I recall reading in this forum that Regseeker (and perhaps CCleaner, too) either erases a registry string or a file in Documents and Settings that is needed by MS Office. Does anyone remember the name of the file? I would like to back it up just in case. I just reinstalled my OS and all software. I'm going to create a disk image with Acronis, but I'd like to have that file handy.

In CCleaner, the problem is deleting HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings.

I don't use RegSeeker but Andavari has a customized exclude.ini file in the pinned topic at the top of this Software subforum.

• Moderators

CCleaner is only capable of removing the settings as Glenn pointed out and that's it, nothing more.

However other cleaning tools without a file blacklist/ignore list may remove "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA\OPA11.BAK" which can cause Office to start asking for the install CD even if you run non Office applications which may use an installed .ocx, .dll, etc., that's commonly installed by MS Office - why I have no idea. If that file alone is removed you'll be pulling your hair out with how annoying the requests are for the Office install CD. Well at least that's what I've experienced in Office 2003. Luckily the file can easily be extracted from the install CD .cab files (which .cab file it is however I've long forgotten.)