Secure deletion question

login123

Have read many posts, also the beginners guide. Cannot find the answer to the following question. If I have overlooked it, many apologies.

Does ccleaner overwrite the various index.dat files as it deletes them at startup? Couple of other members have concluded that it does not, but I can't tell from the beginners guide.

The index.dat files left after restart are shiny new ones, no information in them, but were the old ones overwritten or simply deleted?

Thank you.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Since it's deleted on reboot in the PendingFileRename options area of the registry my best guess would be that it's just a normal in-secure file deletion.

Good answer, would not have looked in the registry. You're right.

Wiping free space from time to time should do it, don't you think?

Thank you.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Wiping free space from time to time should do it, don't you think?

Should do the job in freeware tools like Eraser however that takes a long time wipe the free space of a modern HDD, and don't forget about the slack space data area. However if you use Internet Explorer you may want to look into some other freeware tools that can securely erase the contents of index.dat.

I'm personally not paranoid or concerned about what's on my HDD as I have nothing to hide, however if you're ever selling a system do check out DBAN.