Posting dodgy links

Tarq57

Yesterday a member posted a dodgy link in the software section (I think), to drivecle@ner.com. Clicked on it, as you do, and discovered it's one of "those" sites, that use unclosable and redirecting popups to scare one into buying the product. Took a few attempts to close the page. So. Composed a somewhat acerbic and cautionary reply, by the time I'd hit "submit", the original thread had been removed, (sharp work) with no record of its' having existed. OK. Looked at the member's profile, and a few of the posts. All appears normal, no sign of anything suspect,acrimonious,malicious or odd, except that perhaps the quality of language and knowledge in the posts I looked at seemed better than I'd have expected from the reported age.

So the question: What happens in this sort of case? Does the admin/mod team send a warning to the member, or a "please explain"? It did seem out of character, but you never know.

can you post the link so we can see who/what you are talking about?

as for the age, some of these kids these days are light years ahead of some of us. it always amazes me how much this generation knows about technical things like this.

also, maybe send a pm to rridgley or twistedmetal to advise them of any problems. that way they are sure to become aware of your concerns.

:)

If the post was still there, I'd post a link, but it's been removed without trace. The fact it was rapidly removed indicates an admin or mod was fully aware of it. It was simply a link as described above, with a non-detailed recommendation from the poster. Agree about light years ahead..I didn't grow up with 'pooters, but the quality of language surprised me. Obviously didn't learn English in Txtwrld, like so many seem to.

And I guess if whoever removed the thread has decided not to go public with the name, neither will I, unless a reason comes up.

• Moderators

I don't think I saw this so either TwistedMetal or MrG removed it.(or if it was in the spyware hell sections one of the spyware mods might have taken care of it). I'm sure they handled it the way they saw fit. :)

There is no way for us to control all the links that get posted but I do usually check the ones I see. My advice is to not click just any link from newer members(assuming this was a new member?) Always hover over a hyper link before clicking it so that you can see what the url points too. And if you think a link is bad then press the report button and it will be taken care of.

If you see links from members that have been around for years/months then its a pretty safe bet that the links are ok. If someone is posting bad links they don't usually last here very long. :D Plus this is generally a really nice place and everyone just wants to help everyone out.

If you think you got infected from that link I suggest your run a scan with avg antispyware and superantispyware because I believe they both pick up drive cleaner.

Not worried about infection, everything's ok there. The link pointed where it was supposed to go, it's just a "schlock" site (for want of a better/more accurate term.) Analagous to sspyware, but without the actual spyware.

I was surprised too, the member has been around a while, and I know that people on this (and most other ) forums are mainly interested in helpful stuff. So I'm thinking it's an oversight, maybe.

• Moderators

Well someone had posted a malformed advert link to some program that looked very suspicious to me, thus I reported it promptly, although I don't know if it's the same thread you're referring to or not. The best thing to do is just report crap and it will be taken care of when the Admin or a Mod notices it - that's all we normal members can do to help keep forums clean by lending the Admin and Moderation team extra eyes by weeding out the junk that doesn't belong here.

As rridgely stated hover over links before clicking them since forums (not just this one) will have the odd ball member who is only registering to point people in the wrong direction such as getting infected when clicking upon a link, or the usual spam.