CCleaner Keep Closing

I'm using CCleaner 6.25.11093 - Windows 10 22H2. I bought CCleaner, but I can't use it. I created a support ticket, but no one has responded for months. This problem is not just a rare bug; thousands of users have requested a fix around the internet for years, and this problem still hasn't been fixed.

Problem Detail:

CCleaner crashes when I try to scan or use Health Check, Performance Optimizer, Driver Updater, and Software Updater, but only the Registry Fixer works. I can't use my CCleaner. I have a license, and I want support.

Additional İnformation:

CCleaner crashes when the app's CPU use reaches above %90. 

Edited by Utku

• Moderators

So you say that you can open CCleaner, it's when you come to run anything that you get problems.

We need to try and work out what might be happening so please answer all of the following questions:

CCleaner reaching 90% CPU usage does not sound right at all - when/how does that happen?

Can you tell us just what does happen for you.
For Heath Check what do you see after clicking on 'Scan PC'? How far along does it get before stopping?
Does it Freeze, or just Close? Is there any error message?

When did this problem actually start happening for you?
You say that support haven't responded "for months", but v6.25 has only been released for just over a week.

What happens if you disconnect from the internet before running Health Check? Does it run then and tell you that you are not connected?

Also:
What Antivirus/Security software are your using? Windows built in or a 3rd party one?
If it's a 3rd party AV then what is it and what version do you have?
Have you set or changed any Firewall rules?

Are you logged into Windows as an Administrator or as a General user?

What have you tried yourself to fix it, If anything?

We may want to try a full uninstall/reinstall of CCleaner later, but don't do that yet.
For now just make sure that you have your licence key written down somewhere for if/when you need it later.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Keep getting logged out of websites? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/67601-saved-passwords/#comment-349999

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yes, I can run the registry cleaner. When I press scan PC, it goes up to %40 then crashes, Performance Optimizer started working today; I don't know why I changed nothing, Driver Updater started working too, and Software Updater stuck at %0 for about 2 minutes with insane CPU usage stutters my PC then crashes. I use McAfee (1.18.255) right now, but when I was using Windows Defender, it was crashing too. No, I was using default settings in both programs. I'm logged in as an Administrator. I tried to lower/limit the app's CPU usage with process lasso. It reduced CPU use, but the CCleaner was still crashing while scanning. I thought maybe over-CPU consumption caused the crash, but with my test, it's not. This problem started this year, but when I researched the internet, I saw many old posts about the same issue. I don't remember the CCleaner version, which started the problem. I created a support ticket back then with the same ***@gmail.com account. I wrote the version in that ticket if you guys can check it.

• Moderators

Why do you need to run the registry cleaner?

It is not meant to be used as a usual cleaning item, it should only be used in the case of problems and each item should be checked beforehand.

In fact it is not a good idea to use the registry tool really as it can cause quite a few problems, which is why it was moved to the Tools section of CCleaner to stop people using it as a regular clean and breaking their machines.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

But it says, "Fix issues with your computer's registry." I used it before the problem started for a long time, and it was okay. My problem started after a specific CCleaner update, and as I said, I don't remember that version.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Utku said:

But it says, "Fix issues with your computer's registry."

Exactly that, it is a tool for trying to fixing something that is broken, not a tool for cleaning.

Firstly I'd suspect that Process Lasso may be causing your issues. Try turning it off, "Restart" (not shutdown) your machine and try CCleaner without PL.

If nothing changes then leave PL off and also turn off McAfee, Restart, try CCleaner again.

I think that you have different 'performance' apps conflicting with each other and that is what is giving you problems.

Ie. If the Updaters are 'sticking' then that's often an inducation that your AV is slowing them or blocking them altogether.

I don't know Process Lasso, but it doesn't take much searching to find people having similar CPU problems with it.

PS. This is a user forum. we have no access to support tickets (or to licence accounts).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Keep getting logged out of websites? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/67601-saved-passwords/#comment-349999

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

Exactly that, it is a tool for trying to fixing something that is broken, not a tool for cleaning.                                                                                                                                     

I got that, but think like an average PC user: "Fix issues with your computer's registry." they will try it, and when the program finds loads of registry issues, they will think "I need to fix these problems". Being in the tools section is not going to change anything. Many users still find it because they will click that tool button to see what's in there. It would help if you guys told them it is dangerous. 

About Process Lasso, crashes were there before I started to use it, so I don't think it's the cause of the problem. As I said again, the app worked perfectly before a specific CCleaner update. 

4 hours ago, Utku said:

[About Registry cleaning] an average PC user: "Fix issues with your computer's registry." they will try it, and when the program finds loads of registry issues, they will think "I need to fix these problems". Being in the tools section is not going to change anything. Many users still find it because they will click that tool button to see what's in there.

I couldn't have put it better myself, especially when some of the things CCleaner scans aren't issues. If deleting Registry keys/values through CCleaner is indeed problematic (as in, problems appear after using it) what should be done is rein it in, not move it to another place, especially if the intended user for the program is not a power user.

Process Lasso's ProBalance doesn't prevent programs from executing, it just automates changing the priority of intensive processes for responsiveness, I don't think it is the cause here.