Software Updater and not installed Skype

chrec

Since the last CC update, every day when I run CC, the software updater tells me that Skype is out of date. But Skype is not installed on my Win10. 
How can I set the Software Updater to ignore Skype (even though it is not installed)?

• Moderators

Skype is installed by default as part of a Windows install these days - and if you then uninstall Skype using Windows it leaves 'traces' behind, which may be what CCleaner is seeing?

Of course if it has been uninstalled then it can't be updated so the software updater will keep trying but can't change anything

I am in fact currently seeing this loop with one of my machines where Skype has been uninstalled,  - when I get round to it I will reinstall Skype. It will then be up to date and so CC will stop trying.

(And then I'll probably uninstall it again using Revo to clear up any leftovers. Or I might just leave Skype there and never use it).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Keep getting logged out of websites? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/67601-saved-passwords/#comment-349999

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I feel like when removing things pre-installed with Windows that it doesn't even actually uninstall it but just deletes for example the Start Menu link for opening it. Even when uninstalling with PowerShell.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CSGalloway said:

... - not sure if 3rd party links are allowed - sorry if it isn't.... 

Yes and no.

It depends on the context of the thread/post and just what the link is.

(And we mods each make our own decisions on things like that- although we do have discussions to keep consistency of our approaches).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for your answers. 👍
In the meantime, I have let CC the not installed Skype to "update" so that I see it in the programs and that  I can uninstall it via Windows.
But after uninstalling Skype and restarting the computer, the same annoying CC message came up again
I probably have to check the registry for any Skype entries and delete them.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, chrec said:

But after uninstalling Skype and restarting the computer, the same annoying CC message came up again
I probably have to check the registry for any Skype entries and delete them.

As said above uninstalling any app using Windows unistall (CCleaner's uninstaller simply calls the Windows one) often leaves things behind.
Registry keys, logfiles, setup files, user settings for the app, empty folders with the name of the ininstalled app, etc, etc, can all be left behind.

That's why 3rd party uninstallers exist that will do the uninstall and then do a scan to find and remove those leftovers too.

Do a websearch for "complete uninstall" to find those 3rd party uninstallers which can do that for you.
Most 'techies' that I know use Revo Uninstaller, Free or Paid-for version, but there are others available too.

Hi nukecad

Thanks for your recommendation, I downloaded and tried the Revo tool but this tool only works for programs that are installed. But Skype is not installed on my computer. So I installed Skype again and uninstalled it via Revo. Restart. And the annoying CC message comes back.

So I chose the sledgehammer method and manually deleted all *Skype* registry entries. Restart. And the CC message no longer appears.

I don't know how CC mistakenly thinks Skype is installed, but that should be corrected.

• Moderators

Even using 3rd party uninstallers like Revo Uninstaller (or other 3rd party "thorough" uninstaller) things will possibly still be left behind due to Windows restrictions, of course those uninstallers aren't going to give a clue that they can't actually delete something, they'll want a reboot but the files/folders will remain.

There's a thing called "Violation of Windows policies" not the exact wording since I forget what it's actually called but something rather similarly worded along those lines when deleting particular files/folders with a certain open source disk cleaning software (it's not CCleaner), and I'd guess 3rd party uninstallers poking in areas that are restricted by Windows aren't going to be allowed to delete certain files/folders and probably even registry keys (restricted registry keys are a completely different animal to attempt to delete even with an Admin account).

I had uninstalled Skype years ago but there's still a place holder empty folder for it located in "C:\ProgramData\Packages", now rather that's where the original installer for it was I don't know, or it could've been in the "C:\Windows" OS folder. Windows is kind of messy like that but I suppose it may depend upon rather they deem sometime as a required OS app, or secondary app that they'll let you supposedly "uninstall".

• 2 months later...

Like many, I cannot get Software Updater to stop trying to update Skype even though I have deleted Skype via Windows Uninstall.  Neither Ccleaner not Windows shows that Skype is still on my computer.  I have a elementary knowledge of what is "under the hood" of Windows and/or Ccleaner and certainly don't feel comfortable mucking around in the Registry.  Is there a novice level fix?  Is Avast aware of this problem?  Things like this didn't happen with Piriform.  (Another beef is those annoying pop-ups since Avast took over.)

Posted (edited)

Hi jano47

At first I didn't feel comfortable fiddling around in the registry, but in the end they were entries for a software (Skype) that was never installed on my computer.
And since I manually deleted it, I've had peace of mind, even after a CC and Windows update, I haven't received any more Skype messages.

Edited by chrec