Hello and goodbye...

Hi! I created this account to say hello and to also say goodbye. I have been using Piriform software for many, many years freely and with satisfaction, but as of late, specifically with CCleaner, even the free basic features are going behind a paywall. THAT is unacceptable! I support the company and the software thats created, I've spread the name of CCleaner and Defraggler far and wide over the years, to friends and family and strangers alike cross the internet. Sadly today when I open my desktop version of CCleaner and tried to use my typical custom clean, I get a paywall nag. All the years of me being able to freely use CCleaner the way I want to with acceptable limits, all now things of the past. I will still use the software for as long as I can because the registry cleaner is really my jam, but this is the end of our relationship sadly. I was elated when 3.20 dropped all those years ago. I was very much into finding an alternative cleaning solution to the stock Windows cleaner. This is when I found CCleaner. I wasn't sure if it would destroy my HDD or if it was actually malware, but I tried it anyways. I was hooked ever since. I didn't know that there was so much stuff that wasn't needed, taking up the limited HDD space I had. Anyways... I would like to thank you all for your contribution to my computers care, but this is the end of the road. If ever you all decide to make a free version again, I will be sure to grab a copy. Thank you. 3.20 - 6.24 (XP to Win 10)

• Moderators

What free basic features do you mean, i don't recall anything being put behind paywall that was previously free.

8 minutes ago, Major Paiyne said:

, I get a paywall nag

This shouldn't hapen can you screenshot it. I just tried custom clean on a free install and no paywall nag

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

And you got it from CCleaner.com?

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

@CCleaner Cleaning Team

Can you clear this up?

• Moderators

Can you hang on until i can get someone to help (it may be tuesday as it's a four day holiday in the U.S.) because this would be news to us moderators (users like you who can ban spam).  And is a very troubling move if they have.

Just now, Nergal said:

Can you hang on until i can get someone to help (it may be tuesday as it's a four day holiday in the U.S.) because this would be news to us moderators (users like you who can ban spam).  And is a very troubling move if they have.

Absolutely. I understand. Semi-sadly I have to work Memorial day. But its a paid holiday, so time and a half is always good. :D

• Moderators

Here is the comparison page from ccleaner.com (https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/plans) and, as far as i know, "standard" cleaning is custom clean

image.png

1 minute ago, Nergal said:

Here is the comparison page from ccleaner.com and "standard" cleaning is custom clean

image.png

Yeah. I was just looking at the page myself. The site ad and the software nag are technically the same. One is just a little bit more informative.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Major Paiyne said:

Yeah. I was just looking at the page myself. The site ad and the software nag are technically the same. One is just a little bit more informative.

But the difference is what you're seeing is saying standard clean is behind paywall. Yeah, give @CCleaner Cleaning Team time to reply. They're new to me, i didn't notice when they were added, so I'm not sure on how hands on they are (We've had hands on and hands off CCleaner employees dedicated to the forum (which is mostly just users),

Edited by Nergal

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Nergal said:

But the difference is what you're seeing is saying standard clean is behind paywall. Yeah, give @CCleaner Cleaning Team time to reply. They're new to me, i didn't notice when they were added, so I'm not sure on how hands on they are (We've had hands on and hands off CCleaner employees dedicated to the forum (which is mostly just users),

Oh, no, no, no. Standard/Basic cleaning is free and NOT behind the paywall. I can use that with no issues. Custom cleaning is now behind a paywall. Just to give some clarification.

Edited by Major Paiyne
Typos

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Major Paiyne said:

Oh, no, no, no. Standard/Basic cleaning is free and NOT behind the paywall. I can use that with no issues. Custom cleaning is now behind a paywall. Just to give some clarification.

Afaict Standard ccleaning in the comparison is custom clean to differentiate with healthcheck.

What cleaning is available to you, can you screenshot

11 minutes ago, Nergal said:

Afaict Standard ccleaning in the comparison is custom clean to differentiate with healthcheck.

What cleaning is available to you, can you screenshot

Umm. I just did a Health Check for the first time in a very long time. I've only ever been about using the custom cleaner and registry cleaner. The Health Check did some cleaning of its own. Is that considered the "Basic/Standard" cleaner now? If that's the case, I guess it makes sense. Either way, I wouldn't know what to untick from the custom cleaner to make it basic anyways. But as far as it goes, I can only use the Health Check cleaner and Registry cleaner.

image.png

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Major Paiyne said:

Is that considered the "Basic/Standard" cleaner now? If

I don't think so because they're differentiated in the comparison i posted, unless a big change.

• Moderators

Check your messages :)

• Moderators

Hi @Major Paiyne

Nothing has changed at all as regards the Free vs Pro features, it's just a misunderstanding of what that upgrade page is saying.

EDIT- Obviously I was wrong here, as later developments have proved this was the first report of an intended change that was/is being dribbled out.

I think it's just that upgrade page that has been changed.
It's very clumsily worded in a couple of places. and even misleading.
Obviously too clumsy if it's made you think that Custom Clean has gone Pro only.
@CCleaner Cleaning Team time for a rethink on some of the wording used there.

Custom Clean works just as it always has in CCleaner Free. It has NOT gone behind any paywall.

(I can see in your last screenshot that Custom Clean is there for you and the 'Analyze' and 'Run Cleaner' buttons are active, have you actually tried to run it?).

I'll try to clarify what each of those items on the upgrade page actually means in the order listed:

• Basic Cleaning - Custom Clean or Health Check, whichever you want to use - Free.
  • Custom Cleaning - the only Pro features in Custom Clean (and Health Check) are the same as they always have been - the Scheduling, the advanced Smart Cleaning options, and the multi-user cleaning.
  • Performance optimizer - will scan in the Free version, but will ony do the full job in Pro.
  • Cloud Drive Cleaner - fairly new and still in Beta. It is launched from the 'My Account' button and works in your browser - and of course with CCleaner Free you don't have an account so it isn't on the 'My Account' menu.
  • Driver Updater - will scan in the Free version, but will ony do the full job in Pro.
  • Automatic history cleaner - the Automatic Browser Cleaning in Smart Cleaning, which has always been a Pro option.
  • Software Updater - will scan in the Free version, but will ony do the full job in Pro.
  • Priority customer support - is of course for those who have bought a licence. CCleaner Free users can still contact support, but will be in a queue behind any Pro users. (Despite what it says there you don't 'talk' to a person, the support is via email).

I hope that helps clear things up.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I think I may have spotted what your real issue is here:

12 hours ago, Major Paiyne said:

I will still use the software for as long as I can because the registry cleaner is really my jam,

Are you actually complaining because you can't see the Registry Cleaner anymore?

It's been moved to reflect that it is an advanced tool mainly for use when trying to fix an already broken machine, and that it should it not be used unnecessarily as part of a regular cleaning routine.

It can now be found in 'Tools' - with the other tools that are not meant to be used regularly when cleaning.
Capture.JPG

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

No nukecad, look at his screenshot custom is throwing up that paywall screen.

13 hours ago, nukecad said:

I think I may have spotted what your real issue is here:

Are you actually complaining because you can't see the Registry Cleaner anymore?

It's been moved to reflect that it is an advanced tool mainly for use when trying to fix an already broken machine, and that it should it not be used unnecessarily as part of a regular cleaning routine.

It can now be found in 'Tools' - with the other tools that are not meant to be used regularly when cleaning.
Capture.JPG

No no. I can use the registry cleaner with no issues. My sadness comes from not being able to use custom clean freely anymore. Also pardon if it takes me a bit to respond. There seems to be a daily post limit.

image.png

I wanted to confirm as well that with version v6.24, I too get the paywall prompt for doing custom cleans. I can confirm this was not the case in v6.23. I too am very saddened by this change and will stick with v6.23. thankfully I keep an archive of old installers so I can keep the functionality.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Major Paiyne said:

. Also pardon if it takes me a bit to respond. There seems to be a daily post limit.

image.png

Sadly, to fight spammers, new members are post limited but you should be pretty close to the number of posts where you won't be limited. I think that happens at ten.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Halcyon78 said:

I wanted to confirm as well that with version v6.24, I too get the paywall prompt for doing custom cleans. I can confirm this was not the case in v6.23. I too am very saddened by this change and will stick with v6.23. thankfully I keep an archive of old installers so I can keep the functionality.

Thank you for letting us know.  I will push for developer intervention once the US holiday is over.  If this is an actual change i will vocally decry it.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Nergal said:

No nukecad, look at his screenshot custom is throwing up that paywall screen.

I see it, I was wrongly looking at the 'Get Pro' button as being the one selected so highlighted in green.

That screen is what you are shown if you click on the 'Upgrade' button.

It may be a glitch in the 'test' version that they appear to be running then, with the buttons on the left launching the wrong things?

It may not be a bug at all - but a new kind of advertising nag CCleaner are testing?
Can it simply be 'X'd out of? There is one there.

However I note that today that the screen has changed from what it was showing me yesterday. It's now showing me as below:
PS. My CCleaner Free v6.24 installed on my second laptop runs just as it should, Custom Clean is fine.

Note especially that among the other changes the second entry has been changed from saying 'Custom Cleaning' to now read 'Advanced Cleaning'.
(And the one about Support has been dropped - maybe someone in development was reading what I posted yesterday or maybe they had already spotted that they needed changing).
Capture.JPG

@Major Paiyne, @Halcyon78
How are your respective CCleaners behaving for you today?
Are you still getting the upgrade screen when you click on Custom Clean?
If so then is it the old one as posted on Saturday ; or the new one that I'm seeing today?
In either case can you close it with the 'X' in the top right and then carry on using Custom Clean?
And do you both have the version of CC Free with the 'Get Pro' button rather than 'Upgrade'?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to work out what is happening for you and why.

7 hours ago, nukecad said:

I see it, I was wrongly looking at the 'Get Pro' button as being the one selected so highlighted in green.

That screen is what you are shown if you click on the 'Upgrade' button.

It may be a glitch in the 'test' version that they appear to be running then, with the buttons on the left launching the wrong things?

It may not be a bug at all - but a new kind of advertising nag CCleaner are testing?
Can it simply be 'X'd out of? There is one there.

However I note that today that the screen has changed from what it was showing me yesterday. It's now showing me as below:
PS. My CCleaner Free v6.24 installed on my second laptop runs just as it should, Custom Clean is fine.

Note especially that among the other changes the second entry has been changed from saying 'Custom Cleaning' to now read 'Advanced Cleaning'.
(And the one about Support has been dropped - maybe someone in development was reading what I posted yesterday or maybe they had already spotted that they needed changing).
Capture.JPG

@Major Paiyne, @Halcyon78
How are your respective CCleaners behaving for you today?
Are you still getting the upgrade screen when you click on Custom Clean?
If so then is it the old one as posted on Saturday ; or the new one that I'm seeing today?
In either case can you close it with the 'X' in the top right and then carry on using Custom Clean?
And do you both have the version of CC Free with the 'Get Pro' button rather than 'Upgrade'?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to work out what is happening for you and why.

Nothing has changed unfortunately. I still get the screen when i click the run cleaner button. As far as what the screen says, it hasn't changed since the last one. Closing the X doesn't bypass it. It does nothing. It just takes me back to the custom clean screen. All i can do is analyze in regards to custom cleaning. I have the Free version yes but it only says upgrade to professional and not "Professional Plus" as In your screenshot. I'm here  to help as much as i can, so ask away.

image.png