need help please

Hi Apostolo Arnaldo:

What Windows operating system and CCleaner product (full name and version) are you using? Do you recall what CCleaner feature (e.g., Health Check, Performance Optimizer, Custom Clean, registry cleaner, etc.?) you ran before your Chrome extension stopped working correctly?

What is the download page for this extension on the Chrome Web Store?  I searched for "video downloader plus" and got multiple hits (e.g., Video Downloader PLUS v6.5.0, Video Downloader Plus v3.0.1, etc.).

If your problem started after you updated to v6.24.11060 (rel. 23-May-2024) please see my 24-May-2024 post in Jeff M's Not Cleaning Edge and Chrome Cookies about a bug in CCleaner v6.22 (rel. 13-Mar-2024) where CCleaner was trying to clean "extension-related browser cookies" in Chromium browsers.  According to the 18-Apr-2024 post <here> by the @CCleaner Cleaning Team that bug was fixed in CCleaner v6.23 (rel. 17-Apr-2024), but I have concerns that the  latest CCleaner v6.24 will once again try to clean "extension-related browser cookies" that could potentially damage my Chromium browser extensions.   After reading Forum Moderator Nergal's 24-May-2024 post in thany2's The Upselling Mechanism has Stuffed Up the Program about the various bugs in CCleaner v6.24 I have decided to skip the v6.24 update and wait until CCleaner v6.25 is released next month.
-----------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v125.0.2535.67 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4 -1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1244 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable 6.23.11010

Hi, the video donwloader plus is the version   6.5.0.

Operating sistem is windows 8  32 bits,

Ccleaner version 6.24.11060

I did just a sweep and looked for registry errors...didnt make a backup though... Thanks in advance

error.jpg

7 hours ago, Apostolo Arnaldo said:

I did just a sweep and looked for registry errors...

Hi Apostolo Arnaldo:

While you are troubleshooting this problem please avoid using CCleaner v6.24 again unless you are asked to do so.

When you say you did a "sweep" with CCleaner what does this mean? Did you run a manual Custom Clean scan or use some other feature like Health Check, Performance Optimizer, etc.?

I only run the registry cleaner in CCleaner if I uninstall a program and need to remove orphaned remnants left behind in the registry that I know are causing a problem. The CCleaner support article Clean the Windows Registry warns that "It’s always safer to leave an entry than to remove it..."  if you are not certain that removal of a registry entry could damage your registry .  Microsoft also strongly advises against using any registry cleaner in their support article Microsoft Support Policy for the Use of Registry Cleaning Utilities.

The fact that re-installing your Video Downloader PLUS v6.5.0 extension did not fix your problem suggests that CCleaner v6.24 might have damaged your Chrome browser or some Windows API your browser uses to download videos.  As a first troubleshooting step please open an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights, run the following commands, and let us know if either scan finds a problem with your Windows system files.

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
  • sfc /scannow

More information about these scans can be found in the ghacks.net article Use DISM to Fix Issues SFC Can't .  If these scans do not detect any problems with your system files your results should look like the image below.

Win10Prov22H2CommandPromptDISMScanHealthandSFCNoProblemsEDITED18May2024.png.d3e328a9be1b3fee4e8c3c145cb74962.png

-----------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v125.0.2535.67 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4 -1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1244 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable 6.23.11010

• Moderators

Your first screenshot shows that you are running the Registry Cleaner.

To be frank you should not be doing that reguarly; and especially not with Windows 8.1 which is End of Life.

However I don't think that is your problem here.
You should note that on the Chrome Web Store, and elsewhere, others are complaining that 'Video Downloader Plus' stopped working properly for them when they updated it to v6.5.0.

These are from today but if you click "See all reviews' people have been complaining about it for over a month.

image.png

So it look like CCleaner is not the cause of your issue, but that it's a bug with 'Video Downloader Plus' itself.
Or simply that video hosting  websites are now blocking it from downloading from them, that's an ongoing battle between the sites and the downloaders.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi Apostolo Arnaldo:

What were the results of your DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and sfc /scannow scans? For example, did System File Checker (SFC) detect and repair any damaged or missing Windows system files?

If these scans do not find any issues with your Windows 8.1 operating system then you should run a few tests to see if something other than CCleaner is the cause of your video download problems.

It is possible one of your other browser extensions is preventing Video Downloader PLUS from downloading videos. Open your Chrome extensions manager (enter chrome://extensions/ in the address bar) and disable all browser extensions except Video Downloader PLUS v6.5.0.  Then restart Chrome and check if your videos download correctly. I don't have Chrome installed on my Win 10 computer but this is what the extensions manager looks like in my MS Edge (Chromium) browser when all my extensions are enabled:

MSEdgev125_0_2535_67ExtensionsManager28May2024.png.5e56df06a74d7bd5d014f9ed64acc620.png

If disabling your other browser extensions doesn't help please confirm that the YouTube videos you are trying to download will play correctly in your Chrome browser (according to the Video Downloader PLUS download page <here> this extension can only download videos from YouTube due to Chrome policies).  It would also be helpful if you could provide the URL of one of the videos you cannot download.  Your image suggests one URL is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9976907 but when I try that URL I get the message "This video isn't available anymore".

I would also suggest you contact the Video Downloader PLUS developer at contact@fdown.net and ask if there are any known issues with v6.5.0.  The Video Downloader PLUS download page <here> states the latest v6.5.0 has a new feature called "Safe Browsing" that is supposed to protect users from malicious websites, and this new feature might have a bug that is preventing your downloads.  As nukecad suggested <above>, it might be your Video Downloader PLUS v6.5.0 extension, and not CCleaner, that is the root cause of your issue.
-----------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v125.0.2535.67 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4 -1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1244 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

3 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi Apostolo Arnaldo:

What were the results of your DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and sfc /scannow scans? For example, did System File Checker (SFC) detect and repair any damaged or missing Windows system files?

Hi, it flashes the "cmd" window for a fraction of a second and then its gone, probably its just the plugin´s fault anyways i did not know i shouldnt do a registry clean..

To solve my problem i have found that firefox and the video download helper are working!

Thanks anyways for your availability, if i can help let me know.

21 hours ago, Apostolo Arnaldo said:

... To solve my problem i have found that firefox and the video download helper are working! ..

Hi Apostolo Arnaldo:

That's good news (I also use Video DownloadHelper in my default Firefox browser), but this suggests you still have a problem with your Chrome browser or Video Downloader PLUS for Chrome extension. I suspect there is a bug in the current Video Downloader PLUS v6.5.0 (I'd still advise you report your video download problem to the developer at contact@fdown.net), but if you start seeing other problems with your Chrome browser be sure to post back.

21 hours ago, Apostolo Arnaldo said:

Hi, it flashes the "cmd" window for a fraction of a second and then its gone...

That is concerning, since this could indicate that you also have issues with your Win 8.1 system files.  Be sure when you enter the command sfc /scannow that you are using an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights - right-click on your Start menu button (or press the Windows key + X) to open the power user task menu and select Command Prompt (Admin) as shown in the first image below.  Also see the Dell support article Open Command Prompt in Windows 8 / 8.1. NOTE: an elevated command prompt will display the word "Administrator" in the title bar as shown in the second image below.

If System File Checker (SFC) still won't run from an elevated command prompt and you notice other problems with your Win 8.1 OS (e.g., BSODs, system freezes, error messages when you launch software) be sure to post back and we'll see if we can help.

Win10Prov22H2OpenElevatedCommandPromptFromPowerUserTaskMenu29May2024.png.ee16e24175ab11437560276dbb7a7b3c.png

Win10Prov22H2AdministratorCommandPromptSFCOnlyNoProblemsEDITED29May2024.png.45098d9bd51c0ca39a733c688945a4c0.png

22 hours ago, Apostolo Arnaldo said:

i did not know i shouldnt do a registry clean..

Unfortunately, most users don't learn that until AFTER a registry clean as already caused damage.

If someone is using the registry cleaner in CCleaner and clicks the "Review Selected Items" button after the scan is finished, I'd like to see the pop-up message shown below (i.e., asking users if they would like to create a backup of their registry - I always answer "Yes" to that question) include a strongly-worded warning that deleting registry entries can lead to system instability and that users should proceed with caution. Hiding that warning in the Cleaner support article Clean the Windows Registry is not sufficient.

CCleanerv6_23RegistryCleanerBackUpRegistryPrompt29May2024.png.f9cecc6a02566cd74f744aab4ab9b247.png
-----------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.1 * Microsoft Edge v125.0.2535.67 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4 -1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1244 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010