Secure free space wipe on SSD with drive wiper

billintx

I have CCleaner pro on a Windows 11 machine with a 1 TB SSD. I know wiping freespace on an SSD is different than a HDD. From what I've read , due to wear concerns you can use the drive wiper on an SSD with only a single pass. Will this securely wipe the dree space on the drive safely?  I'm not sure how to use this. I've read differing opinions on whether or not the trim command (which I have enabled) does this automatically. Some of the technical details go over my head a bit. 

Thanks!

• Moderators

Modern SSDs at least 2016 and newer models don't need wipe free space/drive wiper tools ran on them since they can use TRIM which is built into modern OSes. Old SSDs from reading now ancient articles online people used to use such tools when TRIM wasn't available in the OS.

As for needing/wanting to secure wipe an SSD you need to use the manufacturer provided SSD toolkit to "safely" do it, some call it Sanatize. Big enough and reputable brands such as Crucial/Micron, Samsung, etc., have such capabilities in their free SSD toolkit. Note this is not a wipe free space, it will destroy all data on the SSD, such as when wanting to completely retire the SSD or sell it.

i agree with andavari that, with a SSD, you don't need to use  "wipe free space." i also agree with andavari that you should use a tool from the manufacturer to erase data on a harddrive/SSD, if that is what you want to do. personally, i always wipe a hardrive/SSD before doing a "clean" install of windows. (with a  SSD, that happens instantly)

i don't use "wipe free space." i believe that there is too much of  a risk of something going wrong, if you do that.