Outdated apps

It must be the latest version of CCleaner that when I have finished a health check, it tells me that there are some outdated apps.   I click on it, but nothing happens.  If after leaving it for c.10mins it still hasn't moved, I then press Cancel.  That just holds there and does nothing - in the end I have to crash out of it.

Maybe connected but I am also getting a message that CCleaner wants to install on my hard drive, presumably a new version (previously it is updated in the background and when I next run it, it shows the latest version.  Anyway, it asks me if I will let it modify my hard disk.   I click 'yes' and the message disappears but nothing happens.

I know I am running an old version of Windows (Win 7). Could that be a problem?   CCleaner has been running without a problem for several years.

Anybody out there got some suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

• Moderators

There is a known issue for some users with changes made to the Software Updating part of Health Check.

A fix has been promised hopefully sometime this week.

In the meantime there are a couple of things you could try:

1- Using the seperate Tools>Software Updater in CCleaner to see if that one will update the problematic apps for you.

2- Looking at what software Health Check has found to update and then update them manually yourself.

If/when they have been updated then Health Check will no longer hang trying to update them.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Posted (edited)

Thanks nukecad.   I will give it a try.   

I wondered also about the message about trying to do something on the hard disk.   Would you advise, in either case, to uninstall CCleaner and then reinstall it?

I have just tried to Tools option and it still hangs.  Obviously I will have to wait for the fix.

Edited by BigMart
updated information

• Moderators

Uninstalling/reinstalling CCleaner won't help I'm afraid.

The 'trying to do something on the hard disk' message will just be a symptom of the issue.

I've not seen this one myself but in previous similar ones I have seen the software being updated wants something clicked or typed that CCleaner can't click/type or doesn't know to click. Something such as an extra UAC confirmation.

Which particular software update is it hanging on for you? (I assume that you have tried them one at once).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi again nukecad

It was using Tools / Software Updater as you suggested earlier.

I clicked 'Update selected'  (all 4 were pre-selected anyway, but again nothing happened.

Anyway, I may as well wait until the fix, which I presume will come in the usual way and then follow that through.

Thank you for your help.

Oh, I have just remembered something else!  When it is cleaning, it tells me that it has removed files from Internet Explorer.  I never use that, I am on Firefox.   Maybe one of my programs is using IE somewhere in the background?

• Moderators

I can't say for sure but think the fix when it comes will be at the software updater server end so should just 'happen' without anyone needing to do anything.

Hardly anyone uses Internet Explorer as a browser any more - but.....

Over the years many softwares/apps have used IE's temporary spaces as a convinent place to put their own temporary files rather than making their own temporary spaces for them. (Why make a new rubbish bin when there is already one there to use?)

That still happens and so CCleaner still finds things there to clean. (TBH last time I checked when you open CCleaner it still puts a couple of files in there itself, and then finds them to be cleaned).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Dunno, but new reports of software Updater not working properly have stopped being posted so the issue is probably resolved.
Have you tried it again to see if it now updats your outdated apps for you?

The Hard drive message is the Standard User Account Control message that you get whenever you install/update an app.
In Win 7 you can adjust it or turn it off if you are logged in as an administrator.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/guided-help-adjust-user-account-control-settings-in-windows-7-and-windows-8-605f891d-42c5-2b93-4b4b-e4c5d4d35f60

I haven't tried the 'Outdated Apps', but still get the messages about wanting to update my hard disk, and even though I click 'yes' nothing happens!   Normally when it updates, it does it in the background and I get a message that the program  has been updated.    I will try it later.

If I turn off notifications, might I miss something important, not only from CCleaner but other programs?

• Moderators

There is a new CCleaner version v6.23 just released a couple of hours ago, I'd update to that and try again.

From the release notes:

We've resolved an issue causing Health Check to get stuck for some users. 

If you are still having issues after updating CCleaner then which apps is it saying that you have updates available for?
(Click on where it says the updates are available, or go to Tools>software Updater to see what that lists).

I came in about an hour ago.   Firstly it took some time updating to v.6.23. (after several requests to update on my hard disk!).  The resolving issues is working s-l-o-w-l-y!    I need to go out again, so will have to cancel it and start again later/tomorrow.  

• Moderators

Again, what/which apps is it finding to update?

There was/is an update to MS Office that is apparently very slow to install.
If it is that one then you could try updating through Office itself. (It will still take a while by all accounts).

Update:  when I got home (and finished watching EastEnders(!),  I switched on CCleaner.  First couple of times it tried to save to my hard disk.  Then the program ran and did a Health Check.  When this finished it said I had 2 outdated apps (I am sure it was 4 earlier today).   They both took a long time to update, but finally finished.  They were Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous….  and  Apple Mobile Device Support ….   Unfortunately I didn’t note the previous ones.

Tomorrow I will see what happens when I run the program.  If it still wants to install on the hard disk, now it has updated, should I remove the program and download it again?

Many thanks for your help nukecad.  I think for all the years I have been running the program, I have never had any previous problems!

• Moderators

Good to hear that you now have the updates done.

It does sound that they were just taking their time, not all updates are quick, some/many app updates do take quite a while to complete and you need to be paitent.

You can usually carry on using your machine whilst most app updates are going on, if you do that then it may run a bit more slowly than normal until the update has completed and the update itself may take a bit longer.

I'm assuming that you mean this message which is just Windows 7 confirming that you do want to do the app update for a particual app, it will ask for each app that is to be updated.
UserAccountControl.jpg

Apologies for not being around the past few days.  Been busy, places to go,  people to see !!!

After a few days of the updated app, I think it has 'settled down'.   If I get the hard disk request, it only comes once a day, if that.   The only outstanding questions I have now is that on the Outstanding Apps, firstly it doesn't give a list of them it just goes straight into update and tells you which ones have been done.   There maybe a case where one doesn't want an app updated and would wish to refuse.

There is only one app that it is trying to update, that is Thunderbird.  The manufacturers, Mozilla, sent through an update when it was released.  I don't know why CC is trying to update it again.   I just cancel it.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, BigMart said:

The only outstanding questions I have now is that on the Outstanding Apps, firstly it doesn't give a list of them it just goes straight into update and tells you which ones have been done.   There maybe a case where one doesn't want an app updated and would wish to refuse.

If you are meaning in Health Check then click on the down-arrow next to 'Security' on the results screen and it will then show you what it has found to be updated.
You can untick whatever has been found if you don't want Health Check to update that app at that time.

eg. Mine has just found a Firefox update which I haven't applied yet (I'll untick it and let Firefox update itself next time I open Firefox):
image.png