After ccleaner - The file is corrupted or illegible

Every time I run the first option, Health Check... Many programs, like office365, chrome.... stop working, it says "the file is corrupted or illegible C:\ program file\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx.exe- what should I do to fix it? is the problem in ccleaner settings or where the file is saved?image.png.f8c027971ffd1f668dbb0cda05be92ed.pngimage.png.33981f06511a3839a172750e37088637.pngimage.png.8a7f252d4ea3ad5de7fcb2bbfaad1577.png

It could be the "Performance Optimizer" ...

- Check in CCleaner under "Performance Optimizer" if the affected applications are in sleep state. If so, wake them all up again.

... or the antivirus program.

- Which antivirus program do you use? Perhaps Avira? If so, the following folder should be excluded: "C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp"

• Moderators

I note that the first and third screenshots show user pinned taskbar entries.

AFAIK Health Check doesn’t/shouldn't clear those.

The second one which is a browser is even more puzzling - Health Check would not remove anything from C:\Program Files

As asked, what Antivirus are you using?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
On 22/02/2024 at 17:48, Leandro said:

I'm Usind Windows Defender and Avira....

I can´t delete "C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp" ....

You shouldn't normally use 2 AV programmes at the same time.

However if you have installed a 3rd party AV then Defender turns itself off apart from an occasional scan.

@APMichael picked up that you may be using Avira because there was a know problem with Avira moving the executable files of MS Office and other apps to a location where they should not be - C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp.
Nothing that is needed should ever be in C:\Windows\Temp\.
As the name says it is for temporary files, not needed applications.

Once Avira had done that then if you ran a cleaner, any cleaner, it would clear Windows\Temp because that's what a junk file cleaner is meant to do, that cleaning would remove the needed files that Avira had (wrongly) moved into there.
Which meant that you then had to install those apps again from scratch.

We thought that Avira had (very quietly) fixed it and stopped moving the apps. but if you have that 'Sentry_Temp' folder then that is likely to be your problem here.
It may be that you somehow have an older version of Avira. (or that the bug has come back in it).
Are there any files in that sentry_temp folder on your machine? (maybe not if you have cleaned them).

To be practical:
Personally I would uninstall Avira completely - Windows Defender will then automatically take over again as you AV. (In my opinion Defender is a better antivirus that Avira is anyway). https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003162153-Uninstallation-of-Avira-for-Windows
Don't forget to also remove any Avira browser extensions that you may have.

If for some reason you don't want to uninstall Avira (and that's up to you of course) then make sure that is up to date and the latest version.
Check on the webpage yourself, don't just click 'Check for updates' within the app: https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010656158-Current-Avira-versions

Then make C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp  an 'Exclude' in CCleaner, and do the same in any other cleaner that you might run.
Note that Exclusions apply to Custom Clean, so after doing that only use Custom Clean and not Health Check.
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043