CCleaner v6.21.10918 Software Updater - Hung on Updating Microsoft Office 365

Zero point in logging support ticket since they never bother to respond - even for paying Customers. 

Has anyone else tried software updater on this version ? Looks totally buggy as this has hung, but application is still responding (e.g. I can go to Custom Clean etc.). Stuck like this (see screenshot) for 3 hours, Cancel does not work so I have to kill the programme and god knows what state this will leave Office in.

Thanks a lot for doing this - was just what I needed right now.

CC_SoftwareUpdater_Crash_15022024.PNG

• Moderators

CCleaner's Software Updater just fetches the update from the web and tells Windows to install it.

So if/when you see something like that it's usually one of two things happening:

1. The server hosting the update is not responding, or not downloading the requested update, so CCleaner is waiting for a response. (Agreed there should be a timeout on that if it happens).
  2. The update has been fetched but Windows is asking for some input during the install of the update, input which CCleaner can't give it.
    Something like the UAC asking you for Admin permission, or simply the update having finished and waiting for you to click 'Finish', or 'OK', or 'See release notes online'.
    Sometimes if that happens then if you minimise the CCleaner Window you will see a box that was hidden behind it and is waiting for you to click a button.

Your screenshot shows 'Installing' so that would indicate the second one may have been the issue.
As it seems that your Office was updated then I'm guessing it was probably just a button waiting for a click.

There again Office 365 updates itself by default, so I'm not sure why CCleaner would be doing it unless you have updates turned off in Office?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 16/02/2024 at 10:45, nukecad said:

CCleaner's Software Updater just fetches the update from the web and tells Windows to install it.

So if/when you see something like that it's usually one of two things happening:

1. The server hosting the update is not responding, or not downloading the requested update, so CCleaner is waiting for a response. (Agreed there should be a timeout on that if it happens).
  2. The update has been fetched but Windows is asking for some input during the install of the update, input which CCleaner can't give it.
    Something like the UAC asking you for Admin permission, or simply the update having finished and waiting for you to click 'Finish', or 'OK', or 'See release notes online'.
    Sometimes if that happens then if you minimise the CCleaner Window you will see a box that was hidden behind it and is waiting for you to click a button.

Your screenshot shows 'Installing' so that would indicate the second one may have been the issue.
As it seems that your Office was updated then I'm guessing it was probably just a button waiting for a click.

There again Office 365 updates itself by default, so I'm not sure why CCleaner would be doing it unless you have updates turned off in Office?

Hi Nukecad, thanks for the reply.

You are right, for some reason updates were off, note that although CC showed that Office had been updated, it hadn't. I manually updated it afterwards then switched on the auto setting.

I understand why the developers/designers are developing the extra functionality, and also having worked supporting devs in the past, that things can go wrong. But the real key to keeping Customers happy is to provide the support which is promised (CC advertising response time of 4h - it is now over a week and nothing at all - this is why I have had to resort to this free option here, so why bother to pay for non-existent support ?

Thanks again, apologies for rant.

Billj

• 2 weeks later...