Bug In CCleaner Pro v6.20.10897 x64 On Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 Build19045.3996

Hello.

My specs:

OS Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 With Latest Windows Updates Installed
OS Build 19045.3996
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

CCleaner Professional v 6.20.10897 x64

"Cleaning Schedule" is NOT set.

"Smart Cleaning" is disabled / turned off.

But, after every device restart, CCleaner starts running when my device (Windows) starts.

When i open CCleaner and go to Tools -> Startup -> Windows, i can see that "CCleaner Smart Cleaning" is enabled. But, it should be disabled, because in the CCleaner's options it is disabled.

Also, when i open CCleaner and go to Tools -> Startup -> Scheduled Tasks, i can see that "CCleanerCrashReporting" and "CCleanerSkipUAC" are enabled. But, maybe they should be enabled by default.

Just to mention that after the device restart, "Cleaning Schedule" is still NOT set and "Smart Cleaning" is disabled / turned off, both options stayed the same the way that they were set before the device restart.

So, my questions is: What is causing CCleaner to start running the same moment Windows starts to run on my device?

Thanks.

P.S. About this issue, i also contacted CCleaner Support on February 7th, but until now no reply from them.

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

pic03.jpg

pic04.jpg

pic05.jpg

Edited by Gjoksi

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Gjoksi said:

So, my questions is: What is causing CCleaner to start running the same moment Windows starts to run on my device?

Your screenshot shows that  you are asking about getting a CCleaner logo in the system tray.
That is caused by either Smart Cleaning which you already have turned off, or by 'Keep CCleaner updated automatically' in Options>Updates.

PS. It isn't a bug in CCleaner, it's just Windows doing what Windows does.

Turn off  the automatic updating (as well as smart cleaning) and that icon should no longer appear in the tray.
image.png

For the other running tasks that you mention (these DON'T put an icon in the tray):

The crash reporter task does run by default.
It runs at a set time each day and checks if there are any CCleaner error logs to report.
If there are then it sends them, if not then it waits until you next have your computer on at the same time.
It does briefly flash a command window on screen when it runs, which can be puzzling/annoying.
You can prevent seeing that flash window by going into Windows Task Scheduler and setting the trigger to 'Startup' rather than a set time each day.
For how to do that see: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/63929-ccleanercrashreporing-sheduled-task-issue/#comment-341743

The SkipUAC task runs if you have set it in CCleaners Options>Advanced.
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hello again.

As, you can see from the screenshots, it is a bug.

I'm more than sure that, even if "Smart Cleaning" is disabled / turned off, CCleaner starts with Windows like "Smart Cleaning" is actually enabled / turned on.

Also, as you can see from the screenshot above, no other CCleaner modules, except Smart Cleaning, are set to run when Windows starts.

Regards.

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

pic03.jpg

• Moderators

I see.

In that case I would first try the following:

• Enable Smart Cleaning, for both Junk and Browsers.
  • Close CCleaner, restart the computer.
  • Disable Smart Cleaning, for both Junk and Browsers.
  • Close CCleaner, restart the computer.

Sometimes task settings in Windows do get stuck in one state, and toggling the task on and off like that can unstick them again.

If that still hasn't cleared it then, I'd make a note of your licence key and name, and you custom settings, uninstall CCleaner, restart the computer, reinstall CCleaner.

I'm sure that you are doing this already, but just to note that it should be a 'Restart' and not a 'Shutdown/reboot).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

It seems that the tray icon appears when "Keep CCleaner updated automatically" is enabled.

But, in Windows startup it says that actually "CCleaner Smart Cleaning" is enabled.

I guess there's some confusion with the terminology.

In Windows startup it should say "CCleaner update" or something similar.

Regards.

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Gjoksi said:

It seems that the tray icon appears when "Keep CCleaner updated automatically" is enabled.

I did say that above, (and gave a screenshot), and said that you should turn automatic updates off as well as smart cleaning if you don't want to see the icon in the system tray.

Do you have them BOTH turned off now? and has the icon gone?

Hello.

Both "Keep CCleaner updated automatically" and "CCleaner Smart Cleaning" are turned off.

And the tray icon stopped appearing.

Like you said, "Keep CCleaner updated automatically" enabled caused the appearance of the tray icon.

But, my question remains: Why in Windows startup, instead of "CCleaner update" or something similar, it says "CCleaner Smart Cleaning". This way the user will be confused, thinking that "CCleaner Smart Cleaning" is enabled, although in the CCleaner's options it is not enabled.

Regards.

• Moderators

Sorry I don't know exactly why that is, but I'd say it is Windows that is doing it.

I can replicate it and see the same thing happening here.

The Automatic Update is actually a scheduled task , so it should be shown in the Scheduled Task list along with Crash Reporter and Skip UAC.
You can see that in Windows own Task Scheduler, but note that it does have one of it's triggers set to be 'At system startup'.
So it may be Windows itself that is showing Smart Cleaning as a startup task for CCleaner, it's 'best guess' at a name because it's the only startup task it can find for CCleaner?
Windows can often do odd things like that, as I'm sure you know.

image.png