1st "We Cleaned Up What We Could" but Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes no issues

Craig Dog

Hi everyone:

Been using CCleaner for years and first time ever received the following "We've Cleaned Up What We Could."

I did not nor ever go to questionable sites, open suspicious emails, and or attachments.

Each day I run the Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes with CCleaner. They both came up with no threats found but since 1AM Eastern time, every scan shows the "We Cleaned Up What We Could" message. It does not explain further.

What do you think transpired?

Computer is Windows 10 and I am using browsers from Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

Thank you and happy holiday season to all,

CD 

Edited by Craig Dog
Spelling

• Moderators

Hi Craig Dog,

I think you have a common misunderstanding of just what CCleaner is/does:
(It's partly because of the wording that they use these days).

CCleaner is NOT an antivirus application.
CCleaner cleans up junk files, it also cleans up things like cookies and browser history (for privacy).
It includes a few other tools that some users find handy, (and some never use).

CCleaner cannot even recognise malware or a dodgy website - it isn't designed to do that.
So when it says "We've cleaned up what we could" it is talking about junk files, cookies, history, etc. - it is not talking about malware.

CCleaner is your refuse disposal, it is not your security guard.
Your AV and your Malwarebytes are your security guards.

PS. Just out of interest where exactly are you seeing that "We've cleaned up what we could" message?
I assume that it is probably in Health Check in CCleaner Free.
(I can't get mine to show it, but that's probably because of different settings. You get different messages in different circumstances).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi Nukecad:

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what CCleaner is and is not.

The question was why after several years after using the Health Check that used to show a smiley face when done and state "Your PC Is Now Feeling Good" did it show "We cleaned up what we could"?

Something changed, I did not touch any settings. What was it able to clean prior to December 3, 2023 and what was not accomplished December 4th, 2023 and why.

Hope that states the question better to everyone.

• Moderators

My misunderstanding of what you were asking about then, sorry.

They do like to play about with the screens and wording in Health Check.

I think that what you are seeing is probably related to this from the last version release notes:

We extended testing of the new Health Check flow to more users, which improves guidance during the cleaning and optimization steps. 

https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/ccleaner-v6-18-10838

That 'to more users' tells me that not everybody got this, and explains why I'm not seeing that new wording:

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi Nukecad:

Thanks for reply. I do not understand the quote- "They do like to play about with the screens and wording in Health Check." Who is they?

In addition, I am still trying to figure out the message. Are you saying "We cleaned up what we could" is the same as "Your PC is now feeling good" or not?

If you are saying it is not the same thing, what is your inclination of what is not being cleaned up and what changed from al these years?

Thanks,

CD

• Moderators

'They' are the CCleaner programme developers. (The same ones who call themselves 'We' in that new message).

As for the wording I wouldn't bother about it, it's just saying that it finished.

It's only words, it might just as easily say 'Finished Cleaning', or 'Cleaning Complete', or any one of a thousand different phrases.

But it is more accurate isn't it? Your PC is a machine, it doesn't have any feelings good or bad.

• Moderators

@Craig Dog I have now been able to replicate the new screen that you are seeing.

It shows for me in CCleaner Pro if I am offline, or if the servers can't be reached for some other reason, when I run a Health Check scan.*

Before seeing that, but after the scan, the screen says - 'Somethings not right but we can fix the issues we were able to find'.
image.png

image.png

So it's just letting you know that it might have been able to do more if it could reach the server(s).
 That 'more' would be checking if there were any updates for your installed software.

*PS The only way I can (reliably) get it to show those messages is to open CCleaner whilst online, and then go offline before running the scan.

Hi Nukecad:

Thanks for the update, and your terrific ability to articulate.

Yesterday, 12/4/23 the original message "Your computer is now feeling good" W/the smiley face returned.

I have not run CCleaner yet today, as normally do at night.

Have a great afternoon,

CD