Finding Duplicate Files (Images)

TommyT

I am trying the software for the first time and my interest is in finding duplicate files across my c-drive, google drive and dropbox.  See file attached

In the include I went to add and added c:\*.jpg, went to google drive G:\*.jpg and then hit search and found nothing.  There should be a bunch. Even when I run it without the extension, it doesnt find most of the duplicates as I already identified I have multiple copies of the same jpg, but it doesnt find any.

Appreciate any assistance.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 181628.png

• Moderators

When setting up those paths to search did you set it to search in sub-folders as well as just the drive path itself?
It's a commonly forgotten step.
image.png

Are all your images jpg's?
You might also want to use "*jpg;*.jpeg" in the File Types box, and maybe some other common image formats.

However I suspect that it is your 'Match by' settings that may be the issue here.

When I am searching for duplicate images I do it only by 'Size' and 'Content'. (and Size isn't really needed because that is implied by Content).
Name and Date can be different for otherwise identical images.
(Also 'Photo-1' in one folder may not  be the same as 'Photo-1' in another folder).
image.png

Note that CCleaners Duplicate Finder only finds Exact duplicates for what you have set it to match.
Different resolutions of the same image are not an exact match.
An image that has been cropped or edited (eg. red-eye reduction) is not an exact match of the original.

If I want to find such similar, but not identical, images then I will use VisPics and/or Awesome.
Both look a bit dated but each does a good job. Both are Free. (Other duplicate finders are available, either paid or free).
In either you can set the level of how 'similar' images should be to be considered duplicates.
They are much, much, slower that CCleaners Duplicate Finder - you would expect that when looking for 'similar' images, but they are slower even when set to find only exact duplicates.
For that reason I use CCleaner first for exact duplicates, then one or both of the others if I want to find 'similar' images.

https://visipics.info/
https://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• nukecad changed the title to Finding Duplicate Files (Images)

Thanks, tried the subfolders and changed to content and that did work better, but follow up question.  I have both the C: drive and G: (google drive) checked, does it cross check the two drives for duplicated, or only checking the same drive for duplicates.

Appreciate the assistance.

• Moderators

It cross checks all drives/paths that you have selected.
I'll often use it to check between 2 different drives for files on one that may also be duplicated on the other.

PS. Your G: drive is actually the local copy of Google Drive cloud storage (so that you can still access the files if/when offline) but files deleted from the local copy will also be deleted from Google Drive itself,
They should however stay in the 'Trash' at Google Drive for 30 days, which could be handy to know if you make a mistake.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043