CCleaner v6.18 Portable crashes immediately

APMichael

On a clean system on which "CCleaner" has never been run, "CCleaner v6.18 Portable" crashes immediately (not even the GUI appears). However, if an HKLM registry key from a previous version is present on the system, "CCleaner v6.18 Portable" works without errors.

Hi APMichael:

Do you know if this problem occurred with the current v6.18.10838 (rel. 23-Nov-2023) of ccsetup618.zip, or is it possible were you using the buggy CCleaner v6.18.10824 (rel. 15-Nov-2023) that was pulled shortly after release?

I don't have a "clean" system that has never run CCleaner before so I don't think I can test to see if I can reproduce this problem with CCleaner Free Portable v6.18.10838. If you have a system with CCleaner Portable v6.18.10838  that is currently running as expected, can you reproduce the problem by deleting all the CCleaner Portable files from their current location (e.g., your hard drive or a removable USB stick), deleting the registry keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner, downloading  and unzipping a fresh copy of ccsetup618.zip from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds, and then trying to launch the CCleaner Portable v6.18 executable?

If one of the CCleaner employees doesn't reply in this thread soon you might want to submit a support request at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general and see if they are aware of this bug. However, you could be waiting quite a while for an answer.  I sent a support request on 21-Jul-2023 to ask about the dozens of registry keys that are created at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner by CCleaner Free Portable (which defeats the entire purpose of using the Portable build of this software) and haven't gotten a response.
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 * Firefox v120.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23100.2009-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2189 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.18.10838

Thank you very much for your answer and the information.

I have tried it with both releases of version 6.18. I can recreate the crashes at any time by simply deleting the "Piriform\CCleaner" registry key under "HKLM\SOFTWARE".

I am aware of Piriform's lack of interest in bug fixes. There are still numerous reports of problems and bugs here in the forum that have never been fixed.

JMHO: It's a real shame that CCleaner is being bloated with one unnecessary feature after another and that the basic idea of CCleaner has been completely lost.

• 3 weeks later...