How do you make CCleaner not pop up after a video game is exited?

• Moderators

That is Smart Cleaning clearing up junk files and temporary files left behind by the closing game.

You can turn off Smart Cleaning, set how much junk will trigger it to clean, and/or set it to clean the junk without opening or notifying you.
There are also similar options there for automatically cleaning browsers when you close them.
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

OK, you have CCleaner Free so what Smart Cleaning can do is limited anyway.

Let's go back a step -
Can you tells us exactly (screenshot?) what CCleaner is showing you when it pops-up?
Is it just when you close one particular game, or also with other games and other things?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I'm sorry I probably didn't express myself very well. What (in my opinion) is happening is that when you launch a game, Cortex automatically terminates the CCleaner process (the one running in the background) and when the game has finished, Cortex launches CCleaner process again. The problem is that for the latter it doesn't use correct arguments, which leads to opening the main CCleaner window instead of just running CCleaner in the background. So, if all this is a valid theory, there should be two ways out of it, both trying to prevent Cortex from terminating and restoring CCleaner:

• Add CCleaner as an exception to Cortex, so that Cortex optimization will skip it. The exception you added would prevent CCleaner from cleaning Cortex installation folder (which it doesn't anyway). This is not what we need. We need to ask Cortex to stop optimizing CCleaner, so the exception needs to go to the Cortex application.
  • Prevent CCleaner from running in the background. This in your case will probably mean switching off automatic updates (in Options -> Updates). If you don't have automatic updates on, then my whole theory is probably invalid.

The first solution is arguably preferable. :)

Edit: It seems that what you need to do is untick CCleaner in the Game Booster window

image.thumb.png.47c9e552d4d95ed3a7bdc5b8b9c70edc.png

Edited by rofoun

• 1 month later...