restore firefox bookmarks once boomkmars backups are cleaned?

CSGalloway

Hi CsGalloway:

Are you Firefox bookmarks missing?  If so go to View | Toolbars | Bookmarks Toolbar and make sure that Always Show is selected.

Firefox should automatically create regular backups of your bookmarks every few days.  Go to Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | Import & Backup | Restore and see if there is a recent backup file you can restore (see my Firefox v115 image below):

If CCleaner deleted all your bookmark backups and you need to restore your bookmarks you may be able to recover the places.sqlite file from your Firefox user profile.  See the Mozilla support article Recover Lost or Missing Bookmarks and Recovering Important Data From an Old Profile.

Firefoxv115ManageBookmarksRestoreBackup07Jul2023.png.e8e8095d5d98983fed4cd125993e62e3.png

Note that I save a copy of my Firefox bookmarks (Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | Import & Backup | Backup) to a removable USB stick about once a week just in case disaster ever strikes.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3086 * Firefox v115.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23050.5-1.1.23050.3 * Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.32.271-1.0.2051 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Portable Free v6.13.10517

i had CCleaner set to clean:

%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\i8mpx1mk.default-release\bookmarkbackups"

so no backups show under Manage Bookmarks. 

I see they are stored in places.sqlite but is it possible to restore the old bookmarks from the current copy of places.sqlite ?

Hi CSGalloway:

It might be helpful if you could tell us why you need to recover your Firefox bookmark backup.  For example, are your current bookmarks corrupted, did they disappear after a Firefox refresh, or are you simply looking for an old bookmark for a website that was accidentally deleted?

17 hours ago, CSGalloway said:

... I see they are stored in places.sqlite but is it possible to restore the old bookmarks from the current copy of places.sqlite ?

Not that I know of.  I believe the places.sqlite file in your hidden Firefox user profile (C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<currentprofilename>.default-release\) contains your current bookmarks, downloads history and browsing history but does not contain any older bookmark backups.  However, you might want to confirm that by posting your question in the Firefox support forum at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/desktop .

If you allowed CCleaner to purge your Firefox Backups from your current Firefox user profile (i.e., if Custom Clean | Applications | Firefox | Bookmark Backups was checked in CCleaner) and you don't manually save the occasional backup of your bookmarks to a removable USB stick or some other safe location  (Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | Import & Backup | Backup) then I don't know of any way to retrieve an old bookmark backup from your current Firefox user profile. 

Is there any chance that you perform regular backups of your user data to an external backup drive (I backup my entire C:\Users\<myusername>\ folder at least once a week with Karen's Replicator and create the occasional full disk image with Macrium Reflect Free) that you could use to extract your bookmark backups? 

If you recently created a new Firefox user profile (e.g., if you went to Help | More Troubleshooting Information and clicked the Refresh Firefox button) your old profile should still exist in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and you might also be able to recover your bookmark backups from that old profile. You can use the Firefox Profile Manager to start Firefox with a different user profile if one exists.  

Just an aside, but I no longer allow CCleaner to perform any cleaning of my Firefox browser since a bug in CCleaner v5.69 wiped custom settings of several browser extensions if it cleaned the Firefox Internet Cache (see circc's July 2020 Problem with Firefox 79 ). I now use Firefox's built-in settings (e.g., Tools | Settings | Privacy & Security | History | Clear history when Firefox closes | Settings) to manage all my Firefox cleaning.  If Firefox is working correctly there shouldn't be any need to purge your bookmark backups in Firefox since Firefox will only keep the last 15 or so bookmark backups and will automatically purge older bookmark backups so the hiddden C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<yourprofilename>.default-release\bookmarkbackups\ folder doesn't grow beyond 15 or 20 MB - see my 24-Nov-2022 post in aboriqua's Firefox Bookmarks Backup?.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3086 * Firefox v115.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23050.5-1.1.23050.3 * Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.32.271-1.0.2051 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Portable Free v6.13.10517

3 hours ago, lmacri said:

CCleaner Portable Free v6.13.10517

The files were not corrupted.

I had set CCleaner to clean FF bookmarks, but now have switched that option off. Would you mind posting the support issue and posting the full URL to the thread here please?

41 minutes ago, CSGalloway said:

... Would you mind posting the support issue and posting the full URL to the thread here please?...

Hi CSgalloway:

Sorry, I don't understand what you would like me to do so you'll have to be more specific. What "support issue" and thread are you referring to?

I'm not a forum moderator, just a regular CCleaner user like yourself ,  so I have no way of escalating your problem to an Avast / Piriform employee if that is what you want me to do.  You past posts also indicate you also use the custom cleaning rules in the Winapp2.ini file, so your CCleaner app might behave very differently to my CCleaner Portable Free v6.13.10517.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3086 * Firefox v115.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23050.5-1.1.23050.3 * Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.32.271-1.0.2051 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Portable Free v6.13.10517

1 hour ago, CSGalloway said:

>However, you might want to confirm that by posting your question in the Firefox support forum at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/desktop .

Just to post the support question, i guess if old bookmarks are kept elsewhere in the current profile

Hi CSGalloway:

Sorry, if you want to ask a question in the Firefox support forum you'll have to register in that forum and post the question yourself.  I don't even know your Windows OS, your Firefox browser version or the edition and version of CCleaner you use, and if anyone posted a follow-up question asking for more information I wouldn't know what to tell them.

To summarize, I don't know of any way to recover old Firefox bookmark backups once you've purged them from your Firefox user profile with CCleaner unless you back up your personal data files in C:\Users\<yourusername>\ to an external backup drive on a regular basis or unless you recently created a new Firefox user profile and the bookmark backups still exist in your old Firefox user profile.

I'm also not sure why you want to recover those backups when your current bookmarks are working fine.  As I said before, you can manually create a backup of your current bookmarks any time you want (Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | Import & Backup | Backup and save the .json file in a safe location like a removable USB stick), and in a few days with regular use Firefox will start automatically saving bookmark backups again in the hidden C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<yourprofilename>.default-release\bookmarkbackups\ folder that you will be able to view at Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | Import & Backup | Restore.
-------------

there is no need to worry about restoring the old bookmark-backups that have been deleted. firefox will generate new bookmark-backups without your doing anything.

personally, i have always relied on my own bookmark-backups (not those that have been generated by a browser).

4 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

in firefox's "about:config" you can set "browser.bookmarks.max_backups" to "1" where only one bookmark-backup will be saved...

Hi redwolfe_98:

Thanks for that hint.  I didn't know an advanced configuration setting at "browser.bookmarks.max_backups" to control the maximum number of saved bookmark backups was even available in Firefox.  I checked mine and the default setting is "15".

Firefoxv115_0_1about_configbrowser_bookmarks_max_backupsDefault1509Jul2023.png.90fb553a8c9ca505e04fd69d71b3c392.png
-------------