Please Remove Software Updater

I have the current version of PRO. Even when I uncheck the boxes it tries to update and hangs indefinitely.

If I leave the boxes checked it never gets the updates complete. And tries to reinstall programs over and over.

Thanks,

Michael

• Moderators
6 hours ago, MRBanker said:

I have the current version of PRO. Even when I uncheck the boxes it tries to update and hangs indefinitely.

If I leave the boxes checked it never gets the updates complete. And tries to reinstall programs over and over.

Thanks,

Michael

I assume that you are talking about Health Check which in the Pro version automatically runs a software update check.
(There's also a seperate Software Updater in Tools, if you don't touch it won't run).
I'm not sure just which boxes you are unticking?
If Health Check Pro automatically finds software to be updated then you have to click on 'Security' in the scan results and untick the boxes there if you don't want any update that has been found.

And yes, occasionally a software update will hang if it needs an extra input from the user which Health Check can't give it.
The most common one is if you are not running CCleaner in a Windows Administrator account and so Windows asks for extra permission to install the update which CCleaner can't give it.

The simple solution is to use Custom Clean and not Health Check.
Custom Clean does not do an automatic software update, so it won't bother you unless you run Health Check Pro or the Software Updater in Tools.

To set Custom Clean as the default that CCleaner shows you change Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen

PS. What software is it that CCleaner is trying to update for you?
If we know that then someone can double check that there isn't a problem with the update itself.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
6 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

in my case, when i run the software updater, i get "not connected to the internet." it worked fine, until recently.

That's a generic message that you still see in some parts of CCleaner, and it's inaccurate.

It doesn't actually mean that you are 'not connected' but simply that a connection to the target server could not be made for whatever reason.
Being offline is only one of the possible reasons.
It's also possible that the server itself is down, or it could possibly be that your AV/Firewall is blocking that particular connection.

They have changed that generic message in various places in CCleaner to say that it's a particular server that can't be contacted, but they haven't changed them all yet.
For example they have changed it in the Health Check software updater, but not in the stand alone Software Updater yet:

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you so much for your help!
CCleaner is one of the greatest products I have used in my 25 years as a developer.

I am kind of a busy person but it seems the problem started within the last 60 days?

What I Uncheck: Tools> Programs to Update

If I uncheck them it still tries to update.

1. Libre Office
2. Ice Cream Recorder (faulty Update) Over and over, every time I run Health Check
3. Paint.net 32 bit I have 64 bit
4. Messenger 186.0.0 (another faulty update)
5. Zoom Client

I know that some of the problem is that the software itself doesn't seem to check the current installation version.
Some of these it never gets to because of the hanging at one of them.

Maybe you could consider an ignore option on the Choose programs you would like to update.

Thanks for CCleaner; a great product!

PS add some pizza to that beer and I'll be there lol

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MRBanker said:

...... it seems the problem started within the last 60 days?

Maybe you could consider an ignore option on the Choose programs you would like to update.

Ah, so it is Software Updater that you are using and not Health Check.

That '60 days' would have been v6.09 (February) when 50 more softwares were added to what it can update.
https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/ccleaner-v6-09-10300

I know what you mean about ignore, but I'd guess that unticking it, or not running Software Updater at all, would be considered the ignore option.

Are you saying that as well as unticking those 5 there are others that you do want to update, and so you are clicking on the 'Update' button?
And then it tries to update even the unticked ones too?

I only have Zoom of those on your list, and it is showing an available update here.
I might see later if I can roll something else back and do some testing with the ticks/unticks in Software Updater.

• Moderators

I did some testing, but I cannot replicate your issue here.

1. I installed an old version of Irfanview, and the previous version of Recuva
    Software Updater was then showing me Zoom, Irfanview, and Recuva as having updates available.
  2. I unticked Zoom and Irfanview, leaving just Recuva ticked. (The button changes from 'Update all' to just 'Update').
  3. I clicked Update and only Recuva was updated.
  4. Close and reopen CCleaner, back to Software Updater.
  5. I unticked Zoom, leaving just Irfanview ticked, I clicked Update and only Irfanview was updated.
  6. To finish I ticked Zoom, clicked Update (it was 'Update All' as Zoom was now the only one left) and it updated without problem.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

So all behaved for me as it should do.

Your situation does seem odd though, you say that:

Even when I uncheck the boxes it tries to update

and:

If I uncheck them it still tries to update.

I can understand if Software Updater is not able to update something because of connection or permission issues.
But it shouldn't try to update things that are unticked.
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying?
Is it actually trying to update the unticked softwares? or is it only trying to update one or more others that you still have ticked?