help recovering files with special characters "-"

auauburn

I'm using the free version of recuva to recover my own data files wiped clean by a clean install of Windows following the blue screen of death. There are about 100 files that cannot be recovered by Recuva because the file names have hyphens or underline space in the file name. These are mostly downloaded files that I cannot now retrieve from their source, such as IRS or bank records, where only recent years are made available.

Can anyone suggest a work around?  A way to rename the files (that are seen only in the Recuva list)?

If I've posted in the wrong place, please suggest the correct board. 

(I'm running Windows 10 on 2015 HP laptop and I do not know anything about computers.)

Duplicate posting - first was sent to suggestions, but I am looking for suggestions not making them....

I'm using the free version of recuva to recover my own data files wiped clean by a clean install of Windows following the blue screen of death. There are about 100 files that cannot be recovered by Recuva because the file names have hyphens or underline space in the file name. These are mostly downloaded files that I cannot now retrieve from their source, such as IRS or bank records, where only recent years are made available.

Can anyone suggest a work around?  A way to rename the files (that are seen only in the Recuva list)?

If I've posted in the wrong place, please suggest the correct board. 

(I'm running Windows 10 on 2015 HP laptop and I do not know anything about computers.)

• Moderators

Hi I've merged your threads and moved them to the Recuva forum.

I don't know the answer to your question off hand,

Augeas may be able to help when he sees the question.

Just for a bit more information though: Are the hyphens/underscores at the start of the filename or somwhere within the filename?
Where the files on a memory stick?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

nukecad and Augeas - thank you so much for the kindness of a reply. You asked some question of me. Below is my response. Some answers are incomplete. I'll add to them in a couple hours as I can.

Best wishes to you, Janet

nukecad:

Are the hyphens/underscores at the start of the filename or somewhere within the filename?

The hyphens are located throughout the file names, albeit many files belong to a group of files following their own unique file name pattern. An example would be where I downloaded monthly activity from the same institution for many years and possibly multiple accounts.  An example would be files named Stmt_2015-12-10.pdf to Stmt_2022-12-10, of which there are potentially 300+.

I will follow up with example names of files at issue. I wrote the names to a list; if it is as accessible as the name implies, I'll provide it soon.

Where are the files, on a memory stick?

The files are being recovered from my hard drive, specifically they had been in C:\MyDocuments, several folder and subfolders deep. I'm writing the files to a memory stick (i.e. USB drive.)

Augeas:

What is the file system?

I don't know that means. I'll google it and let you know.