MAC Cleaner Blocks CCLEANER

Alberto Rico

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Alberto Rico We recently had a few users who were unable to open CCleaner and they were able to resolve the problem using these steps:

• Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal
  • Type and enter:
sudo launchctl bootstrap gui/501 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist
sudo launchctl enable gui/501/com.piriform.ccleaner

• Type and enter your Mac OS X password (you will not see any text being input when entering this)

Afterwards, please try to open CCleaner again.

Good morning

Thank you for your answer. When I run the sequence the following appears:

# sudo launchctl bootstrap gui/501 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/scripts/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist: Service is disabled

# sudo launchctl enable gui/501/com.piriform.ccleaner

#

In the System.log reports this message; iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.2448[2223]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Thanks in advance

The problems began when I installed MACCleaner. Before that everything worked fine. The initials parameters: 

sudo launchctl list|grep leaner

- 0 com.piriform.ccleaner.uninstall

- 0 com.piriform.ccleaner.engine.xpc

- 0 com.piriform.ccleaner.services.xpc

- 0 com.piriform.ccleaner.update.xpc

- 0 com.piriform.ccleaner.services.submit

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Alberto Rico Thanks for all of the additional, detailed information!

Concerning how the service is disabled, I believe you can resolve this problem using the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

Following that, please see if you still receive a "Service is disabled" error when using this command:

sudo launchctl bootstrap gui/501 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

Afterwards, please restart the computer, then see if you are able to open the CCleaner app.

Hello, You sent me this solution before and it did not work for me. I still can't use CCleaner on the main user of my iMac but the other users that are installed on the computer the CCleaner program works without problem.

Please indicate a different alternative to using:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist  And this message appears: 

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/scripts/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist: Service is disabled

sudo launchctl bootstrap bootstrap gui/501 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist      After this I restarted the computer and This procedure did not work 

The system.log shows this message:  iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.2448[2223]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

I uninstalled Maccleaner and CCleaner and reinstalled CCleaner and this option did not work either.

Please investigate and provide me with an alternative since it was after installing MACCleaner that the problem began

Thank you in advance

Alberto Rico

Hello

I'm sorry. Please excuse my confusion

I just realized that the sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist option is different than the initial one

If when I run this I get the following message:

$ sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist
Password:
/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/scripts/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist: Service cannot load in requested session
iMac-of-Imac:~ imac$ 

$ sudo launchctl bootstrap gui/501 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

7 minutes ago, Alberto Rico said:

Hello, You sent me this solution before and it did not work for me. I still can't use CCleaner on the main user of my iMac but the other users that are installed on the computer the CCleaner program works without problem.

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist  And this message appears: 

sudo launchctl bootstrap bootstrap gui/501 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist      After this I restarted the computer and This procedure did not work 

The system.log shows this message:  iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.2448[2223]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

I uninstalled Maccleaner and CCleaner and reinstalled CCleaner and this option did not work either.

Please investigate and provide me with an alternative since it was after installing MACCleaner that the problem began

Thank you in advance

Alberto Rico

Thank you in advance

Alberto Rico

Hello after executing the commands:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

CCleaner still does not work and again appears in the System.log the message: Mac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.2448[2223]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Thanks

In the system.log I found these messages:

iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.2304[505]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
 iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.04000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000[502]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by mds[66]

HI, I found these messages in the system logs:

iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.CCleaner): This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.

iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.CCleaner.668): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Frameworks/CleaningEngine.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.piriform.ccleaner.engine.xpc, error = 20: Not a directory

Mac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.501.100008.Aqua): Could not read path: path = /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.pli, error = 2: No such file or directory

iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.2304[379]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Thanks in Advance

Alberto Rico

I executed EtreCheck:

Launch Daemons:

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.engine.xpc.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Executable: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Frameworks/CleaningEngine.framework/XPCServices/com.piriform.ccleaner.engine.xpc

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.services.submit.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Executable: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/PlugIns/Services.framework/Versions/Current/com.piriform.ccleaner.services.crashReporter

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.services.xpc.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Executable: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/PlugIns/Services.framework/XPCServices/com.piriform.ccleaner.services.xpc

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.uninstall.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Executable: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Uninstaller.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.piriform.ccleaner.uninstall.helper

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.update.xpc.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Executable: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Frameworks/com.piriform.ccleaner.update.bundle/Contents/XPCServices/com.piriform.ccleaner.update.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.piriform.ccleaner.update.xpc

Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Command: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/MacOS/CCleaner -standaloneInstanceAllowed YES

[Not Loaded] com.piriform.ccleaner.update.plist (Piriform Ltd - installed 2023-01-05)

Executable: /Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Frameworks/com.piriform.ccleaner.update.bundle/Contents/MacOS/com.piriform.ccleaner.update

Thanks in advance

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Alberto Rico Thanks for all of the additional information.

I've sent this to our product team for further review and will contact you again as soon as I have further insight.

Hello Megan

Additional information, I ran 

sudo launchctl print-disabled  gui/501

disabled services = {

"net.freemacsoft.AppCleaner-SmartDelete" => true

"com.google.keystone.user.xpcservice" => true

"com.trendmicro.DSLoginItemHelper" => true

"com.piriform.update.ccleaner" => false

"com.apple.TMHelperAgent.SetupOffer" => false

"com.apple.ManagedClientAgent.enrollagent" => true

"com.piriform.CCleaner"=> true

"com.paragon-software.ntfs.notification-agent" => true

"com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.agent" => false

"com.microsoft.update.agent" => true

"com.piriform.ccleaner.update" => true

"com.spotify.client.startuphelper" => true

"com.apple.FolderActionsDispatcher" => true

"com.teamviewer.desktop" => true

"com.paragon-software.ntfs.FSMenuAppLoginItemHelper" => true

"com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.cc24aef4a1b90ed56a725c38014c95072f92651fb65e1bf9c8e43c37a23d420d" => true

"com.piriform.ccleaner" => false

"com.piriform.ccleaner.plist" => false

"com.apple.appleseed.seedusaged.postinstall" => true

"com.teamviewer.teamviewer" => true

"com.google.keystone.user.agent" => true

"com.nektony.App-Cleaner-SIII-Helper" => true

}

login item associations = {

}

Thank you

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Alberto Rico Thanks for all of the additional information. 

Can you please tell us what results you see when entering the following commands, and check to see if you can open CCleaner afterwards?

1. sudo launchctl enable gui/$(id -u)/com.piriform.ccleaner
  2. sudo launchctl bootstrap gui/$(id -u) /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

Please note how in the 2nd command, there's a space between $(id -u) and /Library

Good morning

iMac-de-Imac:~ imac$ echo $(id -u)

iMac-de-Imac:~ imac$ sudo launchctl enable gui/$(id -u)/com.piriform.ccleaner

Password:

iMac-de-Imac:~ imac$

iMac-de-Imac:~ imac$ sudo launchctl bootstrap gui/$(id -u) /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

Password:

iMac-de-Imac:~ imac$

When I try to open the CCleaner program in the System.log, the following appears:

Jan  9 10:51:24 iMac-de-Imac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.piriform.ccleaner.1944[550]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Thank you

Alberto Rico

Hello

When I ran sudo launchctl load -D user /Library/LaunchAgents/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/scripts/com.piriform.ccleaner.plist: Service cannot load in requested session

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Frameworks/CleaningEngine.framework/Versions/A/Resources/com.piriform.ccleaner.engine.xpc.plist: service already loaded

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/PlugIns/Services.framework/Versions/A/Resources/com.piriform.ccleaner.services.submit.plist: service already loaded

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Frameworks/com.piriform.ccleaner.update.bundle/Contents/XPCServices/com.piriform.ccleaner.update.xpc/Contents/Resources/launch.plist: service already loaded

/Applications/CCleaner.app/Contents/Uninstaller.app/Contents/Resources/com.piriform.ccleaner.uninstall.plist: service already loaded

Alberto Rico

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Alberto Rico Can you please see if this can be resolved by running the "CCleaner Fix.app" script that is attached to my message?

You may receive warnings from Mac when attempting to run the CCleaner Fix.app but that is solely because of how it has not yet been notarized.

CCleaner Fix.app.zip