CCleaner not clean Temp folders correctly.

TheOwner

Hello,

I changed Temp folders locations under "Environment variables".

Default was:

For user: TEMP and TMP: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp and for system: C:\Windows\Temp

I changed it to:

User: D:\Temp and system: D:\Windows\Temp

Some programs ignore this settings and still use default paths, so CCleaner should clean both actual and default paths. I understand clearing default user path can be difficult due different user names, but CCleaner should get user name from other source.

Problem: CCleaner not clean default user path %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp and changed system path D:\Windows\Temp

Tested on CCleaner 6.07.10191 64bit with administrator rights on Windows 10 64bit 22H2.

Tested on "Temporary files" checkbox with test file created by me (so file is not used).

"Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours" unchecked.

• Moderators

I don't necessarily think this is a "new" development because with the default Tmp/Temp paths on Windows it will cause allot of issues changing their paths.

I found out nearly two decades ago it's better to create the new Tmp/Temp paths you prefer to use such as C:\Temp, D:\Temp, etc., and then manually change settings in each individual program one at a time that will allow you to change the Tmp/Temp path in their settings. Programs that don't allow you to change the folder path setting would continue using the default paths that Windows assigned. Doing it that way doesn't "break" some programs.

1 hour ago, Andavari said:

I don't necessarily think this is a "new" development because with the default Tmp/Temp paths on Windows it will cause allot of issues changing their paths.

I found out nearly two decades ago it's better to create the new Tmp/Temp paths you prefer to use such as C:\Temp, D:\Temp, etc., and then manually change settings in each individual program one at a time that will allow you to change the Tmp/Temp path in their settings. Programs that don't allow you to change the folder path setting would continue using the default paths that Windows assigned. Doing it that way doesn't "break" some programs.

Many programs have no settings for temp files locations and use location of system environment. For example CCleaner installer unpack install files to Temp folder specified in environment settings. I cannot choose which temp folder that installer use.

I only want from CCleaner clean all of those Temp Folders.