A Scam????

Poppy

I received a phone call telling me that I owed $4,000.00 on my account and needed to call them immediately.

They had my name and the last 4 digits of the credit card I used to purchase CCleaner several years ago. I checked

my programs on my PC and it shows I purchased it 10 days ago. This has to be some sort of scam. When I purchased it

several years ago it was a one time fee. I could hardly understand the guy on the phone due to a very heavy foreign accent.

PLEASE someone help me get to the bottom of this. 

• Admin
On 29/11/2022 at 00:08, Poppy said:

I received a phone call

We don't do phone calls for the CCleaner home products.  Inbound/outbound calls are only for the business products, ie: CCleaner Cloud.

On 29/11/2022 at 00:08, Poppy said:

$4,000.00 ... 4 digits of the credit card ... heavy foreign accent

Business accounts of that size are seldom processed by credit card.  And if you had purchased hundreds of seats of CCleaner for your company last year I am sure you would have remembered.  And while some of our staff in the USA do indeed have American accents they are generally quite comprehensible.  So from the information provided I am going to say that was definitely not us.

That nefarious actor has your name, phone number and (at least partial) credit card number is naturally a concern, however,  I would recommend checking a site such as https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your information has been breached on some other website.  Victims of these data breaches are commonly targeted by scammers claiming that money is owed for their tax/netflix/amazon/other popular online service account.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes