Ccleaner 6.04.10044 prevents all MS Office apps from running

Paul SEPA

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Paul SEPA said:

If there were another way to install Ccleaner, I would love to try it.

There is, advanced users often do version updates this way:

• When you get a notification of a new version don't update through CCleaner itself, close CCleaner.
  • Go to this page (you may want to bookmark it): https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
  • Download the 'Slim' installer.
    (It installs the same CCleaner, but does it using a slightly different way).
  • Double click the downloaded 'ccsetup###_slim.exe' to install the update over the top of the old version.
    (As long as you haven't uninstalled the old version then the new one will automatically pick up your Pro licence and any settings and customisations you have made).

I'm not sure if it will make any difference to your issue, but it's something to try next update.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 8 months later...
On 23/09/2022 at 20:45, off2hcky said:

I wanted to report that I just spent two hours on the phone with a client who had the same issue as O.P.  No office apps would open, and a system restore that took several hours only to fail however the office apps still failed to open.  During the troubleshooting I was disabling AV and also the CCleaner realtime app.  (thinking, why would ccleaner be the problem??!)  Still was unable to open Office Apps.  I even reinstalled  office apps from office 365 account with no joy.  I finally was monitoring task manager while attempting to start office apps.  In task manager I would see movement in what was listed.  Something would quickly start and stop when I tried to start word or excel.  (but it wasn't a word or excel task)  I finally caught what app was starting.  It was a CCLEANER process!!  I couldn't catch the full name because it was so quick but I couldn't understand how that could be since I had shutdown ccleaner in the task bar.  I didn't waste any time and uninstalled Ccleaner and immediately, the office apps began to work fine.  I then came across this forum post so decided to update it in case other have the same issue.  So no more Ccleaner for me or clients.  Something is up with the latest version.  My client was running windows 10, Norton 360 and office 2019.

I've been having the same problem where Microsoft Office products wouldn't run at all and some other programs would only run if I ran them as administrator.  I'm using CCleaner Pro V6.13 on Windows 10 (Home, 22H2) with BitDefender as AV.  After reading off2hcky's post, I tried running Excel while watching the Task Manager and observed the same brief appearance of a CCleaner task (despite having already exited CCleaner).  I uninstalled CCleaner and I was immediately able to run Excel and all of the other previously affected programs.

Since I have been through several upgrades of CCleaner, I have not had any problems with opening any Office App. I still have a problem with Soda PDF 5, but that issue has nothing to do with CCleaner. My original report about CCleaner was resolved after I uninstalled and reinstalled CCleaner. I have Windows 10 2022H2 Pro, 64-bit.

• 7 months later...

This happens again and again. I have to keep repairing MS Office and reinstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader. I'm totally ready to uninstall Ccleaner. It's caused a lot of anxiety when i got to look at a PDF or word file and suddenly it does not open. :(

• 3 weeks later...

i have narrowed it down to...

the default scan

i have no problems when i run my own cleanup, by when i let the automatic version run, i have to REPAIR MS Office in order to restore its functionality

thx

Bob in Az