Reinstalling Norton

crockhamtown

Hi crockhamtown:

I used Norton antivirus products on my computers for several years until 2019 when I purchased a Win 10 machine.

What is your Windows operating system and what older Norton product (e.g., Norton Security, Norton Internet Security, etc.) are you trying to remove?  Have you ever installed any other antivirus programs on your computer (e.g., McAfee, Kaspersky, etc.) that might need to be wiped off your computer before your new Norton 360 product is installed?  Remnants of other antivirus programs (including trial versions that shipped with your computer from the factory) can frequently interfere with installation of Norton products.

Did you run the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode as instructed in the support article Download and Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool for Windows (important: note the warning in that support article if you have other products like Norton Family installed)?  Running that tool in "Remove Only" mode will not clean 100% of of orphaned folders/files and registry entries of previous Norton installations uninstalled from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features, but what that tool leaves behind rarely interferes with the installation of a newer Norton product like Norton 360.

Manufacturers of antivirus products like Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc. all offer their own specialized removal tool to clean their antivirus off a computer [see the A to Z list maintained by ESET in their KB article Uninstallers (Removal Tools) for Common Windows Antivirus Software].  If you still can't install your new Norton product after running the NRnR tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode (and/or running the manufacturer's removal tool for any other antivirus previously installed on your computer) I'd suggest you post in the Norton 360 for Windows board of the Norton forum (assuming you have a Windows OS) and request assistance there.
---------------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v104.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.03.10002