CCleaner not clearing some windows files

Mike Z

Running CCleaner I am getting "Windows Store - Photos Temp Files - Skipped" and also "Windows Edge files showing they are being Skipped" in the Clean process.

Any reason why this is happening? Windows is one of the Companies I want to have blocked and files cleaned from my PC.

I run Analyze and then Run Cleaner and come up with these messages. It also happens on "Windows System Dump Files"

How can I make sure everything is getting cleaned?

CCleanerError.jpg

• Moderators

When something is 'Skipped' during cleaning it's an indication the the application is still open, or running in the background.

Even when you have closed it, it may still be running something in the background.

By default CCleaner's Custom Clean asks if you want to close the still running app, but if you have ever replied to one of those messages with a 'Do not show me this message again' then it won't ask in future and will just 'skip' the app if it's still running.
image.png

Health Check should ask every time, the message box is slightly different.

To prevent Edge from running in the background:- go into the Edge settings and turn off both 'Startup Boost' and 'Continue running background extensions and apps .....'
That will prevent the background running of Edge and let CCleaner clean it.

2022-08-07-20h01-24.jpg

For other apps (such as the Windows Store) you have to go to the Windows Settings>Privacy>Background apps
Once there you can turn off background running for all apps, or scroll through the list and turn them on/off individually:
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, ErnieP said:

I'm so glad mictosoft has edge run all the time without the user's permission.

It can be easily disabled, even the auto updating feature which is what I've did. If disabling the auto updating feature it can still be manually updated from within the browser itself. I just wish they'd put the updating into Windows Automatic Updates.