Have to meet security measures for web sites after using CCleaner

I posted something similar in the lounge, but think I probably should have posted here.

When I use CCleaner, after each use, web sites like my banking and email sites require me to jump through security hoops every time. Sometimes there is a problem proving it is me - I get messages like "computer not recognized."

How do I avoid this? I already have my bank site and email site cookies excluded from the cleaning, so I'm not sure what else I can do here?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you - Bill

• Moderators

Hi Bill, there is no need to post twice so I've removed your other one (which was in this forum too not in the Lounge).

Firstly- are you using Custom Clean or Health Check?
Do you have Smart Cleaning enabled?

Secondly- some bank, email, and other account sites require you to login and do security every time that you visit, and they will automatically log you out after a period of inactivity.
If they have (recently?) set that up then cleaning cookies, or not, makes no difference.

So what happens if you leave the site and then later go back to the site without running CCleaner?

(My bank wants a login/password, then 3 letters from a security code, then sends another code by text message that has to be entered, and logs me out if I don't click anything for  10 minutes so I have to do it all again).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi - thank you so much for your quick response.

Firstly, I use Custom Clean. I had Smart Cleaning checked, but I just unchecked it to see if it makes a difference.

When I leave the site(s), then go back to them later without using CCleaner, I am able to just log in.

Oh, and thank you for deleting the duplicate post. :)

Edited by BillLH

• Moderators

Smart Cleaning uses the Custom Clean rules you have set so shouldn't make a difference if it's on or off other than automatically cleaning the browser when it's closed (if you have it set to do that).

So it's a process of elimination to find out what is clearing the data.

It may be that you have not excluded the particular cookie for that security information.
Try unticking 'Cookies' for the browser so that CCleaner won't clean any cookies and see if that stops it happening, if so then you have missed one to exclude.

It may be that the security information is being saved elsewhere than in a cookie. (TBH that's more likely).
So my next step would be to make sure that 'Saved Form Information' is unticked. It should be unticked by default, and I doubt security details would be saved in a form anyway but it's something to check.
Next I'd try unticking 'Session' for your browser to see if that stops it from happening.

When I leave the site(s), then go back to them later without using CCleaner, I am able to just log in.

Just for completeness, had you closed and reopened the browser? Which browser are you using?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you - I try those things out. I know that 'Saved Form Information' is unticked. I'll try the others things you suggested, then go from there.

Ironically, Gmail allowed me back on after multiple times of sending a 4 digit code to my phone which, for some reason, I couldn't access (it was on Drive, I think, and even though they had the right phone number, it never came through).

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks again.

- Bill

• Moderators

Just to be sure, can you tell us:

Your CCleaner version.
You Windows version.
What browser you are using.