how to get a domain

TheFiresInTheSky

i heard you could get a domain for roughly 8$.

all i've found is 10/mo.

someone told me i could buy a domain then have it re-direct to a geocities and just mask the url so it looks like its still on the domain.

how can i do this?

A domain is payed for by year, never by month.

You normally cant point a domain name to a Geocities website, because you normally point it using DNS records to a static IP address.

To point it to Geocities so that it still looks like its on the domain, you have to use something called "URL cloaking", which is basically have a page somewhere, that uses frames, and have 1 invisible frame, and the other frame link to your Geocities webpage.

Very few people do this. Frames are bad for many reasons; not all browsers support frames, it is difficult to link or bookmark a certain page on sites that use frames.

Geocities is probably one of the worst web-hotels ever, it displays advertisement and has very very restricted bandwidth limitations, so after just a couple of people visit the site, it will be unavailable.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

http://www.godaddy.com is a very popular website for buying domains. if you like wrestling, then you might wanna check out one of GoDaddy's commercials featuring a WWE Diva :P

edit:as for hosting, free hosting like GeoCicites is always and will always be crap. you might wanna take a look around for paid hosts that can get the job done.

• Moderators

I've been to the GoDaddy office before (the outside). I'm about 45 mins from it.

http://www.godaddy.com is a very popular website for buying domains. if you like wrestling, then you might wanna check out one of GoDaddy's commercials featuring a WWE Diva :P

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

yeah, hosting your own webpage isn't difficult you just have to have broadband and a pc you can keep on 24/7

You will also need a static IP address and no bandwidth restrictions on your broadband account Aaron.

im not real good with this part of the computer.

whats a static IP do?

and the only restrictions that i could have would be from comcast themselves, other than that, no ones set any up.

A static IP address is one that nevers changes, a dynamic IP address changes everytime you restart your router or modem as a new IP address is assigned to you by your ISP then.

You normally pay a premium for a static one.

Looks like you are out of luck hosting your site yourself then.

Btw, I checked the 2 IP addresses that you have been using and noticed they were both Comcast ones, so I guessed you had restarted your router or something.

thats odd, just 2?

i have a laptop sitting right here that i take around the house though thats plugged into the same line as this one.

we restarted our router alot the last couple days.

why does it only show 2?

so it isnt possible to use that address?

No, sorry.

if not, how much would it be to host?

Can't say, because you are in the states and I am not.

Ask Tarun if he is able to get you a good deal with his host.

will do, i have some connections with a place that hosts it off of a computer.

i could host mine, if they'ed let me, at the same time, right?

Yes, if you have a friend who host, then he could host yours too.

You both point your domains to his IP address, but his webserver is configured to display different website depending from which domain name was used (vhost).

Apache rules!

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

technically, you COULD do it with a dynamic IP. but there is almost no point in doing it. you would have to change the IP to which the domain points to every day or every week. it's really a hastle. i know that no-ip has a little tool which automatically changes the IP that the domain points to. but since you want to buy a domain, then that's out of the question.

if you really want to host a website without spending any money on anything, then get geocities or freewebs or some other free webhosting crap. i believe that a lot of them will let your use your own domain with their hosting.

as for you doing this by yourself, why? what would be the point of you having a website? will anyone visit it? do you know how to make a good website? if anyone wants to make a website, then they need a good reason to make one. if someone wanted one just because they wanted to be cool(not saying that's what you're doing), then in the end, that person ends up wasting lots of time.

actually, its for my business.

links in the SIG, "FIZ".

i dont mind spending money for it, as long as its not too much.

im also learning a little more as to how to create websites.

right now, mine sucks as you can tell.

im going to try a program, im just waiting for somebody to give me a link to it.