Programs won't run any more.

Today I've installed Ccleaner and used it, for the first time on this machine. Using the free premium trail I've ran the cleaner, health checkup and registry fixing capabilities. Now I can no longer use programs like firefox, windows media player, groove music or skype. Youtube, when opened with Windows Edge, does not play any videos. Almost all the programs the computer was used for are now out of commision.

The OS used is Windows 10 Home

What can be done to fix this horrid mess?

Edited by Fried laptop

• Moderators

When you did the registry section i assume you just blindly cleaned everything that it flagged,  this was a mistake if you did (best practices can be read in my signature below). Did you make a backup when ccleaner prompted you (during the registry section).?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yes, I did opt to have registry backed up when prompted. Unfortunately, I can't use it to restore the registry. The error message says: not all data was successfully saved in the registry. Some of the entries are being used by the system or other programs, or you do not possess privileges necessary for this operation.

Edited by Fried laptop

If you have an image backup then restore it.
If you don’t then try system restore. If this doesn’t work then you’re looking at a clean install of Windows.

Virginia/Bastet.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2. CCleaner Pro. MalwareBytes Pro. Defender. Macrium Reflect Home.